"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
I appreciate all the comments, thanks! I was actually set on the idea of buying a nice coffemaker earlier today. Then I thought about it some more and realized that it will probably be used infrequently. Then I remembered all those times when I felt awkward for not being able to offer coffee to guests. Then I read here about ways I can still serve coffee without a coffeemaker! Besides, for the price of the coffeemaker I was considering, I can get half of that KA stand mixer I've been wanting ... (If the men are still following this, you've just gained insight into how a female mind works... :-P)

At the end of the day, I guess it depends on how good a host one wants to be. A coffeemaker is probably essential to good entertaining. I've always felt the absence of a coffeemaker in my kitchen when we have guests. I guess it's high time to fix this problem. I guess the solution is to just buy a basic coffee drip model and save my money for that KA! :-P
I would definitely not get a high end coffee maker. I have a $20 drip model that works great! And you can get them cheaper than that if you want. I could get them for free over here.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I had not noticed that the poster was in Thailand. If you don't want to serve coffee (I assume this is after dinner?) then I wouldn't. And maybe the poster that said instant coffee would be okay is correct. Is brewed coffee the "norm" in Thailand?

Old 07-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #23
Master Chef

I happen to like ONE particular brand and type of instant coffee (Taster's Choice Hazelnut). But have Hawaii freinds who regularly send me various Kona and Maui coffees that I have on hand for fussy guests.

THAT SAID, no one should feel obligated to buy equipment and food for guests that they will never again use themselves. And it is a very, very poor guest who expects that. Many of us have very special guests who mean so much to us that we do go that extra mile. Since I rarely drink coffee any more (I have unsteady hands and caffeine makes it worse) and my husband is perfectly happy with the instant, we've gone without real coffee or a maker for it for years at a time, and our guests haven't been offended. I now have a poly-perk (cheapest coffee maker on the market, plus I don't have to worry about it breaking if it winds up in the back of my least accessible storage place), and brew coffee for guests that way. They seem happy enough with it (but that may be that I pay extra for good water, and have that $$$$$ Hawaiian coffee!).

We all have things that we are fussy about when we are in our own homes, and are paying for and preparing it outselves. But when you travel and/or are houseguests, I don't think it is right to expect to get things just your way in another person's home or country.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #24
Sous Chef

I live in Venezuela, where there are 4,000 ways of serving coffee.
ALWAYS fresh coffee.
If anyone served instant coffee here, they'd be lynched, stripped to the bone, rubbed with hot chilli powder, hung from a lamp post and left to the vultures.
(Only kidding!)

I'd try to avoid it - it doesn't take more than 10 minutes to make fresh ground coffee, even if you use a saucepan!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

I never offer instant coffee. You see good coffee is a widely available chance to please guests. That's why I always thoroughly choose the brand. Last half of a year I use Javaberry. It is the absolutely hit. When my guests feel this aroma they just become the best friends of my family. It is traditional coffee with outstanding bright taste. Highly recommend to use Javaberry or other coffee of high quality.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #26
Head Chef

Instant is revoltingly common in Europe. We always have a jar. I know some English people who PREFER instant (???????). But, we have an Italian espresso maker in three sizes (each one was under 15 pounds sterling) and a cafetiere with a plunger. To have one or other shipped to you would be very inexpensive and then you can just buy ground coffee as an when you need it.

To spend a fortune on a piece of equipment that you will get little pleasure from is mad! Use the money on something YOU want!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Personally, I'd never serve instant coffee to anyone. I don't even have it in the house! Coffee will keep indefinitely if you wrap the package well and keep it in your freezer. I don't drink it all that often myself any more, but I always make it for dinner parties, and whenever someone is over who wants some.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
My question must have sounded really stupid huh? If you come from Asia, it won't have sounded as stupid since Asians generally don't mind getting served instant coffee/tea. However, in this day and age of designer coffees and teas, I guess people's tastes and sensibilities are improving ... and if I want to be a good host, I should invest in some nice gizmos... I'm glad to have heard it from you guys
Chopstix - There is no such thing as a "Dumb" Question - It's all a matter of taste and cultural differances - I learned something new about Asia and coffee customs! I do admit that I love my fresh coffee but would be gratefull for even instant coffee rather than no coffee at all!!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #29
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Choop, you don't need "gizmo's" just a good, basic 12-cup drip coffeemaker will have you ready for your dinner parties... for a one or two-cupper situation, I love the French press...
Old 11-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Personally, I don't even have it in the house!
!!! Me too.