Instant Coffee for guests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
Is serving instant coffee to guests an absolute no-no? You know, where the guest makes his own coffee by spooning instant ground coffee/sugar into his cup and adding hot water... We're not coffee drinkers so I've long put off buying a decent coffee maker/brewer. I'd like to know what you think. Thanks!

I'm sorry... but I'd never serve my guest instant coffee.
I won't even drink it unless it's a complete horrid emergancy.

I've never had a cup of instant coffee that was good, so I would say serve something else. Perhaps tea, oj, tomato juice. Perhaps buy several cups of real coffee at a local place and put it in a thermos.

Do you serve instant tea to your guests, and expect them to make it themselves?

When I was living in a dorm at college we couldn't have ANY cooking devices in our room - so I drank copious amounts of instant coffee made with hot tap water. I'm still not sure if it was caffeine in the coffee or the horrible taste that helped me stay awake while studying.

Now, I must admit that I do keep a very small jar on hand ... I live in a place where storms knock my electricity out a couple of times a year ... so I have to rely on "dorm room" coffee a couple of times a year.

As for serving it to guests ... I wouldn't unless they had really insulted me in some way and I wanted to return the insult.

pdswife said:
I'm sorry... but I'd never serve my guest instant coffee.
I won't even drink it unless it's a complete horrid emergancy.

i'm just curious, what kind of horrid event would cause you to drink instant coffee?

(i'm thinking paul quits his job to become a vegas showgirl...)

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I haven't seen an instant coffee commercial in years. I hadn't even thought about it until I was looking for espresso powder and saw some in the grocery store. Just who does drink it?

My question must have sounded really stupid huh? :blush: :blush: :blush: :-p If you come from Asia, it won't have sounded as stupid since Asians generally don't mind getting served instant coffee/tea. However, in this day and age of designer coffees and teas, I guess people's tastes and sensibilities are improving ... and if I want to be a good host, I should invest in some nice gizmos... I'm glad to have heard it from you guys :chef:

I would never expect a host to go out and buy a coffee maker just because I was visiting. That being said though, coffee drinkers NEED their coffee in the morning so make sure there is some way to get it. Maybe you could go out for breakfast to somewhere that serves coffee. if there is no place like that them instant would be better than nothing.

buckytom said:
i'm just curious, what kind of horrid event would cause you to drink instant coffee?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'd take a No Doze before I'd drink instant coffee.

Chopstix, I'd suggest tea or, if you feel that you must serve coffee, a cheap coffeemaker and some real ground coffee.

If I were you, I would not go out and buy a coffee maker since you do not drink coffee.
I would not serve instant coffee in my house, but I am set up to brew coffee, you are not and should not be expected to.
I am addicted to coffee and will consume it any way I find it, instant if that all there is. It is obvious you are going out of your way to please your American company and they will see that. I am guessing that the Americans have noticed that coffee is not the beverage of choice and they may try to obtain their own source even before they arrive for breakfast. Maybe even in their hotel room?
When I am a guest in someones house in a foreign country, I expect to gratefully eat what they serve me.

buckytom said:

Or if all 5 Starbucks in the
neighborhood were to be hit with rocks falling from space!:LOL:

Chopstix,

Do you have a coffee drinking neighbor? Maybe you could use their coffee maker for a day. Or just go get a thermos full of it from them?

coffee

I would not serve instant. How about buying some already brewed
coffee and keeping it warm in a tea pot?

I don't think I would purchase coffee machine unless you think you
will use it yourself. I don't know about you but I have enough devices
in my kitchen I only use in a great while, I would not want another one.

I would be fine with tea. You could just forget the coffee and tea
all together and go for a screwdriver or bloody mary:angel:

No. No instant coffee. Here is what you can do without a coffee maker. Make "toddy" coffee.
Take a package of ground coffee (they are 13oz. now!!). Put 7C of cold water in a large container. Pour in the coffee. Push it down so it becomes all wet but do not stir. Allow to sit over night.
Strain out the grounds. You can line a colander with a towel (or maybe a very good quality paper towel) and pour it through.
This will give you a coffee concentrate that you CAN allow your guests to make coffee with to their taste/strength. It is absolutely delicious coffee and much less acid than brewed coffee.
Store in fridge. It keeps well.

Sorry Folks but in England and Europe Instant Coffee is a done thing. Its not expected to have percolated coffee.....

SO in your case then i think instant is fine!

Also i suggested you looking into a cafeterie. its like a lil pot that has a plunger..you place the grounds in the pot add water and the plunger pushes the grounds to the bottom so that they dont pour out in your cup!!

I use them for my B&B all the time very nice. !

It is definitely okay in my book. Unless you have some kind of fancy – shmancy coffee maker that cost couple of thousands of dollars you will not accommodate and satisfy every body’s desire in coffee. There are plenty of very good instant coffees out there nowadays.

But here is a different idea. Boil a whole big pot of water day a head. Mix with instant coffee and sugar. Put it into refrigerator and let it cool till next day. When it’s time to serve coffee put it in big, coups about half full add a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream serve it with a spoon or a straw. It’s hot outside – people will love it and the coffee issue is solved.

I'd rather not have instant coffee if I can help it, but I have been known to be a good sport and good guest. With much wailing and gnashing of teeth in private later.

I appreciate all the comments, thanks! I was actually set on the idea of buying a nice coffemaker earlier today. Then I thought about it some more and realized that it will probably be used infrequently. Then I remembered all those times when I felt awkward for not being able to offer coffee to guests. Then I read here about ways I can still serve coffee without a coffeemaker! Besides, for the price of the coffeemaker I was considering, I can get half of that KA stand mixer I've been wanting ... (If the men are still following this, you've just gained insight into how a female mind works... :-p)

At the end of the day, I guess it depends on how good a host one wants to be. A coffeemaker is probably essential to good entertaining. I've always felt the absence of a coffeemaker in my kitchen when we have guests. I guess it's high time to fix this problem. I guess the solution is to just buy a basic coffee drip model and save my money for that KA! :-p

Back
Top Bottom