ISO help with smoothie thickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't know if you're trying to make your smoothie thicker or thinner and a recipe would help so we know what ingredients you are using. But certainly the obvious would be less or more of the thickest ingredient and less or more of the thinnest ingredient. Add more fruit to make it thicker? Of course the flavor will always be altered but it shouldn't be to the point of not being good by making any of these changes.

Assuming you want to thicken it. Ice can make a smoothie thicker. Small chips or cubes "whirred" into the mix with your standard or emersion blender. Frozen fruit works the same way and does not dilute the flavor.

I was hoping for some magic ingredient to adjust smoothie thickness like I adjust pH of water. I'm working on a number of different recipes, some of which I want thicker and some of which I want thinner. I suppose they just need more work.

For thicker smoothies, use frozen fruit - for thinner smoothies, try fresh fruit.

To thin them out you can add juice or water. To thicken them up, see the the other responses.

Using the right amount of banana seems to be the key to getting the consistency I'm after, but I don't want to use banana in all smoothies. Are there other good smoothie fruits with similar properties?

To thicken it up without adding banana, try replacing the current dairy or soy product with plain yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom