ISO Russian Tea mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I've had a hankering for the russian tea that we used to have but can't find the recipe. I know it was made from instant tea and other stuff but don't remember what those other ingredients were. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about and how to make some of the mix? If you know of a recipe that uses brewed tea instead of instant, that would be appreciated as well. I'll be leaving in a few minutes to pick up my son at college so won't be back on until later tonight. TIA

Thanks Callisto. I'm sure I would have found it eventually! That is pretty much the stuff. I knew it had an orange cinnamon spice flavor but couldn't think of what to use or proportions. Charlie, Tang is instant orange juice. It comes in a powder and you add water to drink it. It was one of those space things developed at NASA for the astronauts. Next time I'm at the store I'll pick up the ingredients and mix up a batch. Thanks! BTW, college son is home now for almost a month! YEAH!

It's really good Charlie.
It's great to drink when you're not feeling well.

It could have been created by someone watching Sputnick on the news while creating this drink that contained Tang and they decided to name it Russian Tea because of the Russians in space and Tang being the astronaut drink and instant tea being an ingredient. But really, we'll probably never know where the name came from.

Awwww! What memories! My mom used to make this by the truckload (I'm not kidding)! That and hot cocoa mix. They both would last us all winter. I didn't know anyone else knew about this Tang-y cinnamon hot drink. I just looked through her recipe box and couldn't find anything... if she were still here, I'm sure she'd share!

Thanks for bringing it back to me!

Hot is the only way I've ever had it. It IS really good on cold nights. Iplan on using decaf tea so I can have it anytime of day. Usually if I drink coffee or tea after dinner, it keeps me awake to all hours. I haven't had it for a long time. My sister and I were reminiscing about different things Mom used to make that we haven't had since she died several years ago. That conversation brought back lots of good memories and desires for foods long forgotten!

Back
Top Bottom