ISO Secret Smoothie Mix-Ins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Sofie's really into having me make her "Pink Smoothies"--strawberries, yogurt and milk. I'd like to add some more ingredients to give them a little nutritional boost, but don't want to compromise the taste or texture--she's sensitive to both. And yes, it does need to stay pink!:rolleyes::LOL: Any ideas????

I also put flaxseeds in mine, the golden ones, raw. You could try some tahini, almond butter, peanut butter or any other nut butter, about a Tablespoon or two. That will add protein.

For sweeteners I add either honey, stevia, or medjool dates.

There is a great oil you could use called Udo's Perfected Blend Oil. It has flax oil along with a host of other nutritious oils. A T. of that should be enough. Flax oil alone adds a nutty flavor to the smoothie.

You could add some beet juice to maintain the pink pigmentation.

have you tried blending tofu into the mix, pab? it's relatively flavorless, and shouldn't change the texture too much.

have you tried blending tofu into the mix, pab? it's relatively flavorless, and shouldn't change the texture too much.

That's a good idea, bucky, especially since sof isn't a huge meat eater. Would I use firm, soft, silken? I'm still a real novice when it comes to tofu!

hmmm, i'd think soft would be best, as you want it to fully incorporate into the drink.

Add a banana, or cranberries and/or cranberry juice, raspberries, cherries, watermelon - strawberry yogurt. I would pack it with fresh fruit. Here's a bunch. (The Berry Me Alive looks healthy and yummy):

Got Milk? Licuado recipes

Last edited:
BT is right, tofu works great. I've been slipping it to my little ones for years in smoothies. The soft is the least detectable but I only had firm once and one of my boys actually liked the texture better. Just don't let them catch you!

I forgot to mention that you can also add soy milk. It's high in protein. It does have a slightly different taste so I would just add a little at first. What is Sofie not great about eating? Are you looking to increase protein? More fruits? Just looking to make all her food more nutritious?

Thanks, Fisher's Mom. I'm just looking to boost overall nutrition and give her some treats w/o any more refined sugar than necessary. Sof's a good eater overall, just not too adventursome lately (typical for an almost 2-yr-old, I think). She loves fruit so that's no problem, but I would like to make sure she gets some more protein and iron.

How much tofu do you throw into the blender? She's a real grazer so I can't imagine getting through an entire block before it goes bad. Could I slice it, freeze it and pull out slices as needed?

I'm sure tofu would keep for a week in the fridge. I honestly don't know about freezing it - I never have. I use it a lot as an add in because a few of my kids are not big eaters and I worry about their nutrition, too. You can add cubes of it to almost any soup. It really has no taste but readily takes on the flavor of whatever you put it in. Works great in chicken noodle soup or chicken and rice. Add it at the end if the soup is home made. You can crumble it into lasagne or even pasta dishes. If she likes jello, you may be surprised to find she likes chunks of tofu in her food. Anyway, it's pretty inexpensive for the quality of protein so give it a shot and see if she likes it (or at least doesn't notice you added it!) Iron is tougher. I try to use cast iron cookware as much possible and push the Spiderman chewables and hope for the best!
Terry

Back
Top Bottom