ISO Sweet Tea recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First, Elf, you are in control of the sugar - if you don't like a lot simply don't put that much in.

I would say the most common mistakes in making iced tea are:

*squeezing the tea bags (do not do this, it releases too many tannins and will make your tea bitter)

*making tea that is too strong (I put the tea in a pitcher *if glass add some water first so the glass doesn't break* and add some amount of sugar *this just takes practice* and pour in enough water so the tea is a reddish color; not too dark or it will taste too strong

*if you add lukewarm water you can always add more sugar or you can simply heat some of the tea and dissolve the sugar in that and then add back to your pitcher

*bring your water to a boil and turn off THEN add your tea bags, place a lid on top, and let steep for about 10 minutes or so. Simply scoop out tea bags and throw away. Do not boil the tea bags in the water, just steep with heat off.

*if your tea gets cloudy simply add a small amount of boiling water to it - it will clear right up. Also, let your tea cool completely before putting in fridge.

This is a great recipe that is basically foolproof and will last several weeks in the fridge OR it can be frozen.

Iced Tea Syrup

Boil 4 cups water
Turn off heat
Add 11 tea bags
Let steep 5 to 7 minutes
Remove tea bags
Add 1 1/4 cups sugar
Store in refrigerator

TO USE: Put ice in glass. Add ¼-cup tea syrup & 1 cup of cold water. Stir.

This is really good tea. It never ends up bitter. MAKES A LOT.

Last edited:
Because it's so hot in the south many people come up to Michigan to stay at the RV Resort here. I have had the experience of trying this sweet tea that they're all so fond of and couldn not believe how sweet they make it. Most of them have become close friends are always inviting me over for a glass of tea. A lot of them use 1 cup of sugar to 1 qt of tea and many variations to that recipe too. WAAAYYYY too sweet for me. They live on the stuff. I know they prefer to use Luzianne tea, must be something special about it. Can't taste the tea for the sugar.

I always sqeeze my tea bag and mentioned this to them when I read it on this thread. They were horrified. I learned that you shouldn't ever do this because it makes the tea bitter. They're right. They NEVER squeeze the bag. Anyway, sweet tea, I also learned, is a matter of your own personal preferance for the degree of sweetness. Don't think I can handle 11 tea bags for 4 eight oz cups of tea., Kitchenelf. Is this a typo??? WOW.
Ummm, I think I'll stick to 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tea bag to an eight oz. glass. :rolleyes: I'm from the midwest. :LOL:

... A lot of them use 1 cup of sugar to 1 qt of tea and many variations to that recipe too. WAAAYYYY too sweet for me.

1 cup of sugar per quart is a little too sweet for me too. I use 2 cups per gallon (there really isn't much sense in making less than a gallon at a time around here!). :)

They live on the stuff.

The champagne of the South! :LOL:

I know they prefer to use Luzianne tea, must be something special about it. Can't taste the tea for the sugar. ..
We drink an awful lot of tea so we can definately taste a difference. :)

:LOL: Champagne of the South :LOL: I've never heard that! That's priceless.

And yes, Luzianne here too. There's nothing like it! :chef:

A good friend from Alabama gave me this one; it is not loaded with calories and is the best version of sweet tea I have ever had:

1 family size tea bag (I use Luzianne)
1 regular size tea bag
4 8-inch springs of mint
11 packets of sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
2 heaping tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice and cut rind (not the white part!)
Boil 6 cups water. Steep the tea bags and 2 springs of mint, covered. Strain. After it cools, add 2 more cups of water, sweeteners and lemon. Put other mint springs in and chill. Makes 2 quarts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom