"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #141
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The Celestial Seasonings K-cups are really good.
They sure are, I tried the sample cup that came with my keurig. I mixed in a little lemon and honey. Yum.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #142
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Hacking Keurigs for cheaper coffee - Dec. 11, 2014

They really put a chip in the cup so you have to buy their license (overpriced) coffee? Seriously?

This is a company that has forgotten it is customers that are the reason they exist, not the other way round.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #143
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Yup, they did, I hope that it blows up in their faces. I would be more sympathetic if they were offering the machine cheap and relied on the coffee to turn a profit, but they are charging a pretty penny for the machine and are expecting people to buy only the coffee that they are making a profit on.

Add to that, you cannot use older kcups, so if people bought large boxes at a club store and decided to upgrade, their old cups are useless. I've heard that they are replacing some of the cups, but I'm not sure how many that they will replace.

I see more generic machines on the horizon. I have a feeling that there is going to be some backlash after christmas when lots of people receive the 2.0 machines as gifts.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #144
Certified Pretend Chef

Greedy!

I don't use the Keurig anymore. SO still uses it but we have the older model.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #145
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Well, I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon either. At least there's a hack.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #146
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I love the convenience of a one cup maker, so I bought an of brand k-cup machine and use refillable cups and use whatever coffee I want to use!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #147
Master Chef

And here is my cue to endorse the coffee source I've been using since I told "Greed Mountain" to go away: Dean's Beans - All Organic Fair Trade Direct Coffee.

Coffee bags are a full pound. Each bag is around $9.50, give or take a half dollar. Dean's Beans claims that they roast your beans as they fill your order, doing all the work out of their single location in Orange, MA. All I know is it's good and fresh!

When we first started our regular delivery program with Greed Mountain over a dozen years ago. they operated the same way. I started to look around after we were getting coffee that had been warehoused in New Jersey or, in one case, Washington State. We made the move the first time someone here mentioned that they were going to the chip system to prevent people from using off-brand K-cups. Haven't regretted it once.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #148
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

They've also just raised prices. When Green Mountain and Keurig merged in September, they used the excuse of the confusion of the merger to double ship along with telling customers that they had to redo their Auto-Orders. Ask me how I know about this...
Old 12-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #149
Master Chef

I hope you complained and got one of the shipments for free.

I checked the GM/Keurig prices earlier tonight. $1.75 a bag higher than when I left them...in June. Thanks, but no.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #150
Master Chef

Keurig K-cups & machines. Tips?

Call me weird, but I like instant coffee. The most coffee brewed in MN and others, in retail places, cannot compete with coffee I make. Though I of course have had good coffee, especially Cuban coffee places in Miami, places like Starbucks and Caribou are nothing special. How much more so some simple Keurig machine. There are some fancy espresso makers that do a good job, but majority of it is simply adequate. Having said that we do have Keurig and my daughters love it, for making cocoa in the morning, before school.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Tags
tips