"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #31
Everymom

Sorry! Anything online is in USD. The stuff at the stores is Canadian $. Oops. Sorry pacanis.

I also bought a pile at Costco which was $39.99 for 80 count. My peeve with that is that I don't care for all the types in the box.

Tweed and Hickory is actually the cheapest I've found. Kienna is about 35 or less ($17.49 for 50) if you don't mind using their little pod converter. Its also more environmentally friendly because their pods are like Tetley tea bags that you cram into a mesh pod thing. Then you can toss the bags in the compost. That's where I got my San Francisco Bay fog chaser. I think they might be Canadian. I bought a Sample Pack of the Kienna pods and I was able to choose 24 different flavors. We are now addicted to Highland Grogg. OMG...sooooo good!

Vitauta, the SFB fog chaser was $5.79 for 12. They have several varieties of SFB coffee.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
Master Chef

I debated on asking Santa for a single cup maker like Keurig (I don't have to have name brand stuff) but went with a programmable 12 cup. I was a bit put off by the cost of the k cups. Maybe next time I need a coffee maker I'll make the switch. But then again, who knows what the next big thing in coffee will be by then!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Sorry! Anything online is in USD. The stuff at the stores is Canadian $. Oops. Sorry pacanis.

I also bought a pile at Costco which was $39.99 for 80 count. My peeve with that is that I don't care for all the types in the box.

Tweed and Hickory is actually the cheapest I've found. Kienna is about 35 or less ($17.49 for 50) if you don't mind using their little pod converter. Its also more environmentally friendly because their pods are like Tetley tea bags that you cram into a mesh pod thing. Then you can toss the bags in the compost. That's where I got my San Francisco Bay fog chaser. I think they might be Canadian. I bought a Sample Pack of the Kienna pods and I was able to choose 24 different flavors. We are now addicted to Highland Grogg. OMG...sooooo good!

Vitauta, the SFB fog chaser was $5.79 for 12. They have several varieties of SFB coffee.
yes alix, i was wondering why you weren't on board with the last couple of coffee threads. i figured you thought we'd talked the subject to death already....
back in november, when i first brought up sfb fog chaser k cups, i placed my order with amazon for december 11. somehow, i ended up with a january 11 receive date instead. i'm paying $31.35 for a case of 80 k cups.
i'm cheered to hear another endorsement for the fog chaser by you, alix.
are the k cups (which are not sealed) easy enough to use? i still can't visualize the design of these things.:)

i still like to shop on ebay for my k cups when i can get a better deal than amazon. i don't do well with the bidding auctions, but am able to negotiate a decent deal, on occasion, one-on-one with the seller.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #34
Everymom

If you click on the link in my last post, you can search for the SFB brand and see a picture of the pod. Basically, they have a Keurig type foil top and a little mesh pouch hanging from that. The top gets pierced by the upper spike but there is no need to pierce the bottom as it is already cheesecloth. I liked it, but wouldn't drink it regularly as it is quite full bodied and I take my coffee black. I like it melt your enamel strong only first thing in the morning, after that, I like my coffee lighter and often flavored.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Barista Prima K-Cups...these are ground coffee with instant coffee added to the cup, I can taste the instant, not a favorite. The Hot chocolate cups, any brand, are watery renditions. You might as well just buy Swiss Miss packets from the store, they taste better and are much cheaper.

Watch the number of cups in some boxes, like the teas. They often have fewer cups in the same size box as the coffee sitting right next to it.

Just got done looking around Amazon, not finding appreciably lower prices on the coffee varieties I like, they all seem to be.10-.20 cents more than what I pay through Green Mountain.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pac, did I tell you about the paper clip, yet? I don't want to repeat myself if I already told you. And the problem mostly happens to machines that are run at higher altitudes.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Paper clip
I'm all ears.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Paper clip
I'm all ears.
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #39
Executive Chef

New England Coffee and Brooklyn Bean Roastery also use an alternative cup for their Keurig-compatible coffees.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
New England Coffee and Brooklyn Bean Roastery also use an alternative cup for their Keurig-compatible coffees.
Maple cinnamon French toast coffee?
Yowza That sounds tasty.

Tags
tips