Keurig K-cups & machines. Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We purchased a Keurig shortly after the New Year,
here's the rub, I had just bought two bags of Starbucks
whole bean coffee at Costco, you know, those huge bags and
ground them up at the store.
DH LOVED, with a capitol L
the K-cups and bought 2 cases of cups at Costco.
HEY! Wait a minute! What am I going to do with all
of this Starbucks that he insisted on buying?
I found those reuseable K-Cups and I fill one up for
myself each morning. I only have one cup to his 2,
and he doesn't care for the refillable, not sure why, but
at this rate I figure it's going to 4 years to finish off all that
Starbucks :blink:

I have tried and tried all kinds of dark roast coffees in the Keurig. I can't get a strong enough cup of coffee. I bought the refillable K cups and used bagged coffee-no good. I finally gave up and went back to my trusty Cuisinart coffee maker. I buy Starbucks French Roast at Costco and grind my beans. I'm happy.

We now have two coffee makers on the counter. One for me and one for SO. She's quite happy with Starbucks House Blend K cups and chai teas, hot chocolate and cappuccino and etc.

A kid we know went to work for Starbucks. He was allowed a free pound of coffee per week. No one in his home drinks coffee so he was getting me some of their Caffe Verona beans. Soooo good!. Sadly that source has dried up.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, Addie.

Thank you Andy. What was getting me so upset aside from her stupidity was I had to get back. My nurse was waiting for me so she could take my vitals. And I hate to keep other people waiting for me to be where I am supposed to be. I had to apologize to my nurse when I got back. :angel:

Andy, I have the Bunn My Cafe coffee maker.http://www.amazon.com/MCU-Single-Multi-Use-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B009PLQ5H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415567281&sr=8-1&keywords=bunn+mycafe+mcu I love it. It has a setting to make your coffee stronger. I use that and it's wonderful. It comes with a Kcup dispenser or you can use regular coffee in a different dispenser. With the regular coffee dispenser, you can add quite a bit of ground coffee (2 1/2 scoops worth). I like the versatility of it.

Cheryl, you might look around the stores. I have some kcups of Luzianne tea that make a wonderful iced tea. I put ice in a plastic cup and run the coffee maker with the kcup of tea and come out with a perfect serving of iced tea every time.

I have tried and tried all kinds of dark roast coffees in the Keurig. I can't get a strong enough cup of coffee. I bought the refillable K cups and used bagged coffee-no good. I finally gave up and went back to my trusty Cuisinart coffee maker. I buy Starbucks French Roast at Costco and grind my beans. I'm happy.

We now have two coffee makers on the counter. One for me and one for SO. She's quite happy with Starbucks House Blend K cups and chai teas, hot chocolate and cappuccino and etc.

A kid we know went to work for Starbucks. He was allowed a free pound of coffee per week. No one in his home drinks coffee so he was getting me some of their Caffe Verona beans. Soooo good!. Sadly that source has dried up.

I find with the refillable cups that you have to grind the beans finer, not espresso fine, but finer than normal. Pre-ground from a bag just produces weak coffee. I don't think that very strong, robust coffee is going to happen in a Keurig.

Andy, I have the Bunn My Cafe coffee maker.http://www.amazon.com/MCU-Single-Mu...id=1415567281&sr=8-1&keywords=bunn+mycafe+mcu I love it. It has a setting to make your coffee stronger. I use that and it's wonderful. It comes with a Kcup dispenser or you can use regular coffee in a different dispenser. With the regular coffee dispenser, you can add quite a bit of ground coffee (2 1/2 scoops worth). I like the versatility of it.

Cheryl, you might look around the stores. I have some kcups of Luzianne tea that make a wonderful iced tea. I put ice in a plastic cup and run the coffee maker with the kcup of tea and come out with a perfect serving of iced tea every time.

Thanks, jabbur! I love tea and am looking forward to trying both iced tea and hot tea in my new machine. :)

If this +80F weather continues, I'll be trying the iced tea soon! :)

Last edited:
I find with the refillable cups that you have to grind the beans finer, not espresso fine, but finer than normal. Pre-ground from a bag just produces weak coffee. I don't think that very strong, robust coffee is going to happen in a Keurig.

Yup. Tried that too.

Thanks, jabbur! I love tea and am looking forward to trying both iced tea and hot tea in my new machine. :)

If this +80F weather continues, I'll be trying the iced tea soon! :)

The Celestial Seasonings K-cups are really good.

Thanks Princess, good to know!

kgirl, I should have gotten one of the refillable cups when I bought the machine, but I didn't. :rolleyes: I'm going to go back and get one.

I don't mind if the coffee isn't super strong. I want to taste the coffee of course, but for me it doesn't need to pack a strong punch. :)

tip of the day, make sure to put a cup under the drip line (what ever that hole in the machine calls where liquid comes out), Unlike my daughter when she was making cacao this morning :LOL:

tip of the day, make sure to put a cup under the drip line (what ever that hole in the machine calls where liquid comes out), Unlike my daughter when she was making cacao this morning :LOL:

;)
I did that yesterday!
Normally, we "set up the coffee bar" the night before after finishing the dinner dishes. A cup set under the dispenser with a k-cup in the shoot ready to go.
I forgot to do all of this, got up, bleary eyed, shoved the handle down, hit my cup size button, and proceeded to the bathroom... came back to quite the mess :blink: OOPS! :rolleyes:

Please forgive me for not going through all the posts. Someone here at DC tipped us off to the San Francisco Coffee Co. They are much less expensive than Keurig. Right now they have a 20% off Veterans Day special.
The code is "ThankYou Vets"
Our favorites are Fog Chaser and French Roast. I give Kayelle the French Roast first in the morning to get her heart started.
The Breakfast Blend and the Green Mountain are also nice.Unfortunately, Costco does mot carry many of their varieties, so I order them on line when they have a sale.
Also you get points every time you buy from them that can be used to pay for your coffee. I discovered that at Keurig the points are only good for accessories.

:heart:I thought I heard someone talking about my heart.:LOL:

It's true though that I need that strong cup of coffee first thing in the morning.

By the way Cheryl, my sous chef makes the best iced tea EVER, and I go through a gallon of it every two days. Love it...I'll let him tell you how to do it. I play dumb so I don't have to make it. ;)

Souschef's Iced Tea Recipe

Add 2 tablespoons of loose Earl Grey Tea or 2 Earl Gray teabags to one quart boiling water
Add 3 black tea teabags
Steep until cool
Pour (strain if using loose tea) into gallon container
Add bottled water to fill
Add 2 tablespoons Truvia and stir
Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
Souschef's Iced Tea Recipe

Add 2 tablespoons of loose Earl Grey Tea or 2 Earl Gray teabags to one quart boiling water
Add 3 black tea teabags
Steep until cool
Pour (strain if using loose tea) into gallon container
Add bottled water to fill
Add 2 tablespoons Truvia and stir
Enjoy!!!!

Thank you, Souschef! Copied and pasted, and added Earl Grey to my list. I do love my iced tea and will for sure try this. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom