Keurig K-cups & machines. Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am and have been a Member of the Green Mountain club since I bought my machines. I have never had any problem with them and you are able to choose how often you want deliveries. They also give you some lead time if you would like to change your order to other varieties. I get delivery every 6 weeks, which is perfect for Shrek and I. If you get 4 boxes of 24 cups, you get free shipping.

I am and have been a Member of the Green Mountain club since I bought my machines. I have never had any problem with them and you are able to choose how often you want deliveries. They also give you some lead time if you would like to change your order to other varieties. I get delivery every 6 weeks, which is perfect for Shrek and I. If you get 4 boxes of 24 cups, you get free shipping.

Thanks. I knew there was some kind of coffee club you belonged to.

i'm not big on exclusive relationships. they are binding, and i want to be free to play the field. i'm just not ready to settle, and settling seems to be a requirement of green mountain cafe express club membership.

green mountain dangles a most tempting offer of all, that of a free extended warranty for your keurig coffee maker. but you have to be a cafe express member when your machine breaks down in order to be eligible for the free replacement machine. well, HELLo--a good, protective warranty should be made available to every keurig owner from day one, and with no strings attached. marriage, it's not for everyone. for me, free enterprise still rules in this keurig coffee kingdom, along with its desirable coffee k cups....

Last edited:
the time is finally almost here. in less than a week, i'll be receiving a case of san francisco bay fog chaser coffee k cups which i ordered back in november from amazon. i can't wait to see how this coffee compares with the keurig coffees for which i've been paying premium prices for way too long. sfb fog chaser--cool name. sfb k cups, environmentally friendly. sfb k cups, about 1/2 price of keurig k cups. (win-win-win)

the big question remaining about sfb coffee k cups is whether it can pass a taste test--mine. i fervently hope it can, and will. i am already looking for what to do with all the money i will be saving after breaking away from keurig k cups. a new car for me next year, maybe?:)

Last edited:
I can't wait on your feedback, Vit.
Please include what size mug you are brewing and if you use the cup multiple times for one cup.
Or just send me one :mrgreen:

:LOL:

I bought a Senseo machine on close-out for 15 bucks American, and I am very happy with it. It takes pods, not cups, and I can easily make my own with any coffee I like using my Perfect Pod Maker and commerical pod filters, which is a LOT cheaper than K-Cups! Also, the Keurig doesn't give you crema on the top of your coffee like the Senseo does.

If you want to urinate in Green Mountain's swimming pool, the Rogers Family Coffee Company make their own style of Keurig-compatible cups, called OneCups that are an excellent bargain and make an exceptional cup of coffee. I buy their San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser coffee in whole bean format. It's one of the coffees I use to make my own pods. They also have a line called Cafe Jerusalem certified coffees, if you're keeping kosher.

sir loin, thank you for the heartening words about sfb brand coffee. let me share a few customer reviewers describing fog chaser k cups on one of the sfb coffee sites. they use words like "rich and fresh", then say, "so delicious and full of flavor, i can't go back to anything else." and, "wakes you up and makes you feel righteous"--jeez, and it's still otc? (i think i need to have this on my speed dial) then, "a coffee drinker's coffee", and "as good as nyc restaurant coffee where coffee's expected to be excellent," and "less plastic, more coffee. flavor is strong, gets your heart
pumping." 'nuff said, gonna get me some of this brew very soonly....:)

Last edited:
How on earth did I miss this thread?

I order K-Cups from the keurig site directly and I get 15% off their prices. Generally speaking, that means I get 24 for about $13 and change. I wait until I have a large enough order to get free shipping and one sample sized coffee. So far, thats the best deal I've found on the actual cups. Walmart has 18 count cups for $11.77 depending on the Walmart you go to. For some reason, they are NOT all priced the same.

Tweed and Hickory has K-Cups and Kienna pods that fit the Keurig at roughly half the price of regular k cups. The down side is that if you use your Keurig for hot water for tea, you will need to make sure you clean the little black cup holder or your tea tastes like coffee. Blech.

I haven't tried to get on the Green Mountain thing. And I'm a bit peeved at that stupid sweepstakes thing. Only for US residents. BAH!

vitauta, I got my Fog Chaser box quite some time ago after I saw you mentioned it and can't believe you are still waiting! What the heck??? It is a nice full bodied coffee. If you like milk in your coffee it is perfect.

Melitta makes pods that look like the SanFranciscoBay type coffee pods. I haven't tried them yet, but they are a bit cheaper than the regular K-Cups.

Hope that helps a bit pacanis.

How on earth did I miss this thread?

I order K-Cups from the keurig site directly and I get 15% off their prices. Generally speaking, that means I get 24 for about $13 and change. I wait until I have a large enough order to get free shipping and one sample sized coffee. So far, thats the best deal I've found on the actual cups. Walmart has 18 count cups for $11.77 depending on the Walmart you go to. For some reason, they are NOT all priced the same.

Tweed and Hickory has K-Cups and Kienna pods that fit the Keurig at roughly half the price of regular k cups. The down side is that if you use your Keurig for hot water for tea, you will need to make sure you clean the little black cup holder or your tea tastes like coffee. Blech.

I haven't tried to get on the Green Mountain thing. And I'm a bit peeved at that stupid sweepstakes thing. Only for US residents. BAH!

vitauta, I got my Fog Chaser box quite some time ago after I saw you mentioned it and can't believe you are still waiting! What the heck??? It is a nice full bodied coffee. If you like milk in your coffee it is perfect.

Melitta makes pods that look like the SanFranciscoBay type coffee pods. I haven't tried them yet, but they are a bit cheaper than the regular K-Cups.

Hope that helps a bit pacanis.

That does help.
It is surprising how many people don't seem to comprehend what this thread is about, but continue to post anyway :rolleyes:

So I'd have to say that based on your pricing (assuming Canadian), the local hardware store is still the spot for me. I was hoping someone would come in with a .30/cup pricing, but sadly that isn't the case.

And I do like a little milk in my coffee, so the fog chaser sounds worth trying.

Thanks again :)

Sorry! Anything online is in USD. The stuff at the stores is Canadian $. Oops. Sorry pacanis.

I also bought a pile at Costco which was $39.99 for 80 count. My peeve with that is that I don't care for all the types in the box.

Tweed and Hickory is actually the cheapest I've found. Kienna is about 35¢ or less ($17.49 for 50) if you don't mind using their little pod converter. Its also more environmentally friendly because their pods are like Tetley tea bags that you cram into a mesh pod thing. Then you can toss the bags in the compost. That's where I got my San Francisco Bay fog chaser. I think they might be Canadian. I bought a Sample Pack of the Kienna pods and I was able to choose 24 different flavors. We are now addicted to Highland Grogg. OMG...sooooo good!

Vitauta, the SFB fog chaser was $5.79 for 12. They have several varieties of SFB coffee.

Last edited:
I debated on asking Santa for a single cup maker like Keurig (I don't have to have name brand stuff) but went with a programmable 12 cup. I was a bit put off by the cost of the k cups. Maybe next time I need a coffee maker I'll make the switch. But then again, who knows what the next big thing in coffee will be by then!

Sorry! Anything online is in USD. The stuff at the stores is Canadian $. Oops. Sorry pacanis.

I also bought a pile at Costco which was $39.99 for 80 count. My peeve with that is that I don't care for all the types in the box.

Tweed and Hickory is actually the cheapest I've found. Kienna is about 35¢ or less ($17.49 for 50) if you don't mind using their little pod converter. Its also more environmentally friendly because their pods are like Tetley tea bags that you cram into a mesh pod thing. Then you can toss the bags in the compost. That's where I got my San Francisco Bay fog chaser. I think they might be Canadian. I bought a Sample Pack of the Kienna pods and I was able to choose 24 different flavors. We are now addicted to Highland Grogg. OMG...sooooo good!

Vitauta, the SFB fog chaser was $5.79 for 12. They have several varieties of SFB coffee.
yes alix, i was wondering why you weren't on board with the last couple of coffee threads. i figured you thought we'd talked the subject to death already....
back in november, when i first brought up sfb fog chaser k cups, i placed my order with amazon for december 11. somehow, i ended up with a january 11 receive date instead. i'm paying $31.35 for a case of 80 k cups.
i'm cheered to hear another endorsement for the fog chaser by you, alix.
are the k cups (which are not sealed) easy enough to use? i still can't visualize the design of these things.:)

i still like to shop on ebay for my k cups when i can get a better deal than amazon. i don't do well with the bidding auctions, but am able to negotiate a decent deal, on occasion, one-on-one with the seller.

Last edited:
If you click on the link in my last post, you can search for the SFB brand and see a picture of the pod. Basically, they have a Keurig type foil top and a little mesh pouch hanging from that. The top gets pierced by the upper spike but there is no need to pierce the bottom as it is already cheesecloth. I liked it, but wouldn't drink it regularly as it is quite full bodied and I take my coffee black. I like it melt your enamel strong only first thing in the morning, after that, I like my coffee lighter and often flavored.

Barista Prima K-Cups...these are ground coffee with instant coffee added to the cup, I can taste the instant, not a favorite. The Hot chocolate cups, any brand, are watery renditions. You might as well just buy Swiss Miss packets from the store, they taste better and are much cheaper.

Watch the number of cups in some boxes, like the teas. They often have fewer cups in the same size box as the coffee sitting right next to it.

Just got done looking around Amazon, not finding appreciably lower prices on the coffee varieties I like, they all seem to be.10-.20 cents more than what I pay through Green Mountain.

Pac, did I tell you about the paper clip, yet? I don't want to repeat myself if I already told you. And the problem mostly happens to machines that are run at higher altitudes.

Back
Top Bottom