Keurig K-cups & machines. Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to hit BB&B today and pick one up. I was hoping to nurse the old pot through Dec but the last batch was really weak because it kept shutting down just at the start of the cycle. I had to restart it like 6 times before it would finish and the coffee looked like strong tea. The local store has the one I want in stock. So I guess I'm getting an early Christmas gift.

Anyone in the market for a new coffee making machine should seriously consider one of the Bunn MC single cup brewers. The Bunn name is synonymous with making coffee and they've been in restaurants and coffee shops for as long as I can remember. They're priced better than Keurig, they make better coffee than Keurig, and they can take k-cups, pods, or loose coffee or tea with the different drawers that are included. I have never heard a bad remark concerning any Bunn coffeemaker of any kind.

I'd buy one myself, but I have my heart set on the Krups EA9000 Barista, as soon as my second mortgage comes through.

Sir_Loin, thanks for the tip. After doing some comparison, I've purchased the Bunn. It's available for pick up at Lowe's and was on sale. Saved about $50 over the Keurig. I like the fact that you can change out the coffee holder to take pods, k-cups, or regular coffee. I'm not limited to the k-cup. We have some other stuff that we ordered from Lowe's that is ready for pick up today too so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

We did quite a bit of research and seeing as Mrs D like Lattes and Cappuccinos we bought a Tassimo. We've had it for three years and no problems so far.

My tassimo is about 3 years old and I really love it! The coffee seems very "rich" compared to drip or Keurig, it's kind of hard to explain. Even when drip is brewed very strong, it still seems "thin".

what the H is going on with sfb coffee prices, i'd like to know! i've been a happy fogchaser coffee drinker for a couple of months now, until...a message from amazon, informing that my coffee is about to be shipped, and the price is now $27 instead of $30. wha'? coffee prices are suddenly dropping down, and voluntarily??? at amazon, i see that the price for fogchaser has actually spiked from $30 to $46 for an 80 cup case--looking just like keurig prices now. i wonder if sfb has been bought out....

whatever is going on there, i have just ordered another case of sfb coffee from amazon at the "sale" price. right now, that .34 per cup price applies ONLY to sfb 'french roast' and sfb 'breakfast blend' flavors. the fogchaser and rainforest (except at the $46 price) is listed as being out of stock.

this is probably the best time to try sfb k cups if you've been thinking about it. take advantage of amazon's "sale"...i see a bad moon arisin' for us sfb coffee lovers....:(

am i a prophet or what?! okay, a rather confused prophet, i admit, but still....
oh pac, pac---over heeeeere! (see vit wildly waving)

amazon has increased the price of my fogchaser coffee by 50%--a whopping $14 boost, for an 80 kcup size package! at the same time, amazon has terminated the subscribe and save program for this item. i won't even mention the amzon prime rate hike here....
pac, i hereby challenge you and everyone, to reveal the next 'big thing' in coffee k cups. who here can find the best price out there for a good cup of coffee? c'mon, we can't give up the cause without a fight--some of that good old fashioned irish resistance...:glare::hammer:

Okay, the next big thing:

The new Keurig machines, known as Keurig 2.0, will not accept any cup package except real Green Mountain or licensed to Green Mountain K-cups. There are machines out there, Cuisinart immediately comes to mind, not manufactured by Keurig that will accept any single serve cup style.

I am really looking forward to Green Mountain's arrogance coming back to bite them on the ass!

Last edited:
am i a prophet or what?! okay, a rather confused prophet, i admit, but still....

According to Amazon they are out of the item themselves. Apparently, and I never noticed, they do not have back order items. They simply get rid of the item until it is in stock again, so I was told when they get it back in stock and ship it themselves the price should be more in line with what it was.
We shall see...

my original post (above) about amazon's price hike on sfb coffee was written one year ago, last february. it feels like 'deja vu all over again'. at that time too, amazon was 'out of stock' on the sfb k cups when the price increase was announced. i was due to receive my next shipment of fogchaser coffee from amazon on april 4, 2014. i will be cancelling my subscribe and save subscription with amazon for sfb coffee, even though it appears at this time to be a moot point.

Yeah, and on top of their Prime hike, too.

While Googling I did notice that Costco has online shopping and their prices were outstanding on the SFB. I imagine you need to join, but it might be worth it and it's another option other than Amazon. Plus maybe they can ship me one of those rotiserrie chickens everyone is always eating for dinner, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, and on top of their Prime hike, too.

While Googling I did notice that Costco has online shopping and their prices were outstanding on the SFB. I imagine you need to join, but it might be worth it and it's another option other than Amazon. Plus maybe they can ship me one of those rotiserrie chickens everyone is always eating for dinner, lol.
:ROFLMAO:
I may have this wrong, but I don't think you need to be a member to shop at Costco online. I think you get better prices if you are a member.

for stop-gap shopping you can bop over to ebay, where all flavors of SFB coffee k cups are still going for $28/80 case and $56/160 case, with free shipping. how long these prices will hold is anybody's guess.

...I am really looking forward to Green Mountain's arrogance coming back to bite them on the ass!
Do you know if their 2.0 system also offers a reusable filter for your own ground coffee? Somehow I doubt that they would, considering its new "feature".

I've always thought they charged above premium prices for the cost of convenience, but their 2.0 brewers are beyond the pale! Since Himself and I each drink more than a cup whenever our Brewmaster gets fired up, even the concept of a single-cup brewing system has amused me.

I just bought a Keurig - have been tossing the idea around for a few months now. I've been browsing through this thread, there are some good tips here. :)

I hope I love it. :) I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I do enjoy a cup in the morning during the winter months. The single serving cups appeal to me for that reason...if I were an all day coffee drinker, or several a day, I wouldn't have gotten it.

It won't get much use in the warm months, I'm more of an iced tea fan when it's hot outside here in the desert.

I just set it up and ran it through it's first cleansing cycle, so I'm looking forward to trying my first cuppa tomorrow morning. :yum:

Last edited:
Thanks Princess, so far so good! I just had my first cup of Breakfast Blend. Very good - rich and flavorful. And so quick!

Next step is to register it and get the coupon code for my first box of Kcups. Keeping my brother in mind when he stops by for coffee...he'll say he doesn't want a cup of that "flavory, foo-fooey stuff", just coffee. :LOL:

Thanks Princess, so far so good! I just had my first cup of Breakfast Blend. Very good - rich and flavorful. And so quick!

Next step is to register it and get the coupon code for my first box of Kcups. Keeping my brother in mind when he stops by for coffee...he'll say he doesn't want a cup of that "flavory, foo-fooey stuff", just coffee. :LOL:

I feel the same as your brother. I like my coffee to taste like coffee.

Same here, although I do love hazelnut with a little cream. :) I don't care for the pumpkin-y flavored coffees offered everywhere this time of year.

Same here, although I do love hazelnut with a little cream. :) I don't care for the pumpkin-y flavored coffees offered everywhere this time of year.

My understanding is that the majority of the pumpkin coffees have no pumpkin in them! I'm a coffee purist, prefer coffee-flavored coffee.

The last time I went to Winthrop, I went across the street to the High Tide Diner. The regular staff know when I come in the door the order is "small light with extra sugar." It has never been any different for the seven years I have been going there. A new girl served me. "We have flavored coffee now. Would you like to try one?"

"No thanks, small light with extra sugar."

"We also have hazel nut. Would like one of them?"

"No thanks. Small light with extra sugar."

"Are your sure you wouldn't like one of our flavored coffees?"

"No thanks. Small light with extra sugar."

By now, I am getting frustrated. My voice is starting to become louder. And I am making a lot of effort to remain polite. The place is packed with customers. The man sitting at the counter right next to where I was standing, thankfully waved for one of the regular waitresses to come over and rescue me. She had my 'small light with extra sugar' in her hand. Bless her heart. She gave it to me on the house. I gave her what I would have paid for the coffee as a tip with an emphatic "Thank You!" :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom