"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Keurig K-cups & machines. Tips?

I went through the first page under appliances and under non-alcoholic beverages and didn't see anything... so please merge away if I missed something.
But how about a thread to alert of deals or tips in the Keurig world of machines and K-cups? Especially for neophytes like me

I would like to say that I ordered a 50 count from Amazon for .60/cup. And at the time it looked like a good deal, comparing it to other online offerings. Free shipping, too. But I just returned from the local hardware store and paid .58/cup for the same coffee and in a lesser quantity, 18 count. I'm feeling kind of ripped off now by Amazon if a local hardware store can offer the same product for less and I would not have to wait a week. Plus I won't have to store as many at one time.

And I've seen folks mention clubs... is there a club I should belong to for ordering online K-cups for less? Is there a break-off point where it doesn't become worth your while? Right now, just being me, I figure I'm good for 3-5 cups per day.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Head Chef

No club necessary. =) Just find one of these, I think Amazon sells this brand.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two of those. I have not been able to come close to replicating the flavor of the extra bold K-cups. Of course, a lot of that probably has to do with the coffee I am using, too.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'll be watching this thread with interest Pac. My family gave us a Keurig machine for Christmas, something I didn't think we wanted or needed. Nevertheless, it produces the best cup of coffee I've ever had and we both love it. The gift included lots of different cups and we've been making notes about the ones we like the best. I've heard that Costco has the best price at .40 per cup, but I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Zereh, our machine came with one of those for when the novelty of the filled cups passes. However, I must say that the grocery store coffee I've filled it with in no way compares with the specialty cups.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

I've had my Keurig platinum for a year, and liked it so much, I got one to sit next to my desk at work :)

My best finds are when you have a 30% coupon for Kohls. They sell K-cups there, and have them on sale periodically. If you don't have a Kohls nearby, they may sell them online as well, and there's always a way to get free shipping. If you don't have a coupon, it's easy enough to google a coupon and print it out :)

Also, the little do-it-yourself type reusable metal filter for Keurig is wonderful! I use that about 1/2 the time.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

PS: if you like flavored coffee, Target's Archer Farm Brand flavored bagged coffee is less than $6 and makes a ton of K-cups. The coconut is really good, and I'm also currently enjoying the cinnamon vanilla.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Ah, Kohl's...
How come every time I get a 30% off coupon their base price is 30% higher than Amazons? At least on small appliances.
I will keep an eye on their K-cups though. Thanks for the tip! Offhand, do you have a price/K-cup from Kohl's?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Best prices I've had are when I have the $10 Kohls cash, and it's on sale, and I have a 30% off. Then I can get a box of 18 for $1.87.
I am a coupon queen.

Their regular price is high, which is why I wait for sales/coupons.

BUT Target is a good price - usually $10.99 for a box of 18. Don't forget you can use your k-cup twice, as long as it's once right after the other (like don't wait 6 hours...)

Also, Green Mountain coffee has a facebook page where they often post coupons to print for their k-cups.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

That's a great price at Kohls with the coupons. They mustn't jack up the prices to compensate like on some of their other items. Good deal! I'll be watching them for sure.

Target is higher than the local Ace, too. They have really good prices there. Even on their hardware, lol.

I run 2-6oz brews through one K-cup and have enough room for cream, light if I want. The Donut Shop med roast extra bold has had the best flavor so far. I just finished a Donut Shop Coconut Mocha, a 10oz brew, and it was alright. Could have been stronger, but had a nice aroma.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I hated my Keurig brewer and I hated Green Mountain for trying to create a monopoly, going as far as to sue anyone who tried to manufacture a k-cup without giving them a kickback. I quit using mine almost a year ago and finally gave the damn thing away to a woman at work who thought she couldn't live without one.

Tags
tips