"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Head Chef

Kopi Luwak

If you've seen The Bucket List, you know what I'm talking about. In the movie, Jack Nicholson plays a wealthy stubborn hedonist who's terminaly ill. One of his pleasures is drinking this rare coffee called Kopi Luwak.

To brew it, his personal assistant lugs a special coffee making contraption to anywhere Jack happens to be in the world. So as not to spoil the movie's main punch line, suffice it to say that this coffee is extremely exotic and is from Indonesia.

My Indonesian friend who lives here has promised to get me some of this hard-to-find Kopi Luwak, and apparently it can be ordered in various forms: raw beans, roasted, ground. So one does not necessarily have to have the same contraption as Jack Nicholson's. I asked for the ground type as I have a Bodum french coffee press.

I'll let you know when I do get it. I'm not a coffee drinker myself but will keep this for friends to taste, as an interesting conversation piece. You are all welcome to my place!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have heard about civit coffee but I am not sure that I would want to drink it. It is suppose to be less acidic. Let us know. You are brave to want to try it.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I am definitely a Coffee Achiever, but I'm not sure I could knowingly drink this, Chopstix. Still, part of me is dying to know how it tastes. I'm so glad you will let us know.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Buy it in beans, medium roasted, for full drinking pleasure. :)
Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
Head Chef

So my friend came through on her promise. I got a pack of roasted ground Kopi Luwak in nice cheese cloth packaging with a small tag bearing a picture of the civet tree cat. Inside is a pretty straightforward description of the manufacturing 'process' . I used my French press and just avoided the fine dregs. The verdict?

I'm no coffee drinker but I know it when I don't like the coffee. This coffee I certainly liked very much. So much so that I kept remarking how fragrant it was with no bitter aftertaste.

DH, who can down double espresso neat, says that it's indeed very fragrant -- robust, musky, woodsy, less acidic than other coffees.

In short, excellent.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Head Chef

Btw, here's the actual wording on the packaging: (Warning: Contains necessary graphic details.)

'Luwak' Java Arabica Coffee

A rare and unique Arabica coffee prepared from Droppings of Luwak (Paradoxorus hermaphroditus), the Indonesian musky-carnivore civet-cat, at the Arabica coffee plantation in East Java-Indonesia. Luwak takes only sound and optimum ripe coffee cherries. After passing the digestive tract, the coffee droppings then is well processed to give a unique, tasteful and high quality coffee without any off-flavor.

:-)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

hi, im from indonesia,
the real coffee luwak is good.
but the price is killin' me.
its cost more than US$3000/kg
at the finest grade.