Latte' and my myriad questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While it is true that in France, for example, a cafe au lait is coffee and milk, and in Spain and Latin American countries, cafe con leche is also coffee and milk, we are talking about very very strong, rich coffee, not your normal brewed drip stuff. Wikipedia defines a "latte" as follows:

Outside Italy, a latte is typically prepared with approximately one third espresso and two-thirds steamed milk, with a layer of foamed milk approximately 5 mm (¼ inch) thick on the top. The drink is similar to a cappuccino, the difference being that a cappuccino has half the amount of milk. Lattes also typically have a far lower amount of foam than a cappuccino. A variant on the latte is the flat white, which is a serving fill of about one-third espresso, with steamed milk then added, while holding no froth at the top.

Sorry, GB - with all due respect, you will never get me to agree that a latte is just coffee and milk. I guess I am a recalcitrant coffee snob.

Part of the Wikipedia definition that you did not include says "The long Italian form literally means "coffee and milk"".

Latte and espresso are not the same thing though. If you are going by Wikipedia for your definitions then Wikipedia will tell you a latte is just coffee and milk, not necessarily espresso and milk.

I only know of a latte being made with espresso.

And yes, like MK said, espresso is made in an espresso machine and cannot be replicated in a regular coffee maker Chico. But if you HAVE to, you can finely grind whatever coffee you are using and improvise. I also don't know how you would get the foamed milk.

GB said:
Part of the Wikipedia definition that you did not include says "The long Italian form literally means "coffee and milk"".

Oh goodness, GB - you are persistent! Yes, that is the literal translation. Wikipedia describes the particular process used to make coffee in Italy; it is nothing like drip brewed coffee. I think we just have to agree that we disagree: "latte" means something different to each of us.

I will stand corrected on this one. I guess that serves me right for getting my info from Wikipedia. I would know better :LOL:

Seeing as how I drink my coffee black, I will bow to the experts.

Almost forgot the most important thing. The answer is NO, you cannot let it sit out for 4, 5, or 6 hours. It will separate and be horrible!
I thought he meant can you put everything in the coffee maker the night before. We do it all the time, it's on a timer and when we come in to work at 8 the coffee is already made for us.

From the posts it does sound like my prep is what a lot of folks do--for coffee. And I must admit that in my 'adult job' I drank some pretty horrid coffee all day long.

If my wife and I go to Borders or Barnes & Noble, we grab some books and magazines and hang up in the cafe area. In that circumstance I drink a soy amaretto cappuccino. If it's going to be one of those rainy afternoons, I make it a latte' for "volume."

I like things of this nature to relax. That period of the morning when I'm reading the newspaper is such a time. Since I burned the crucible out of the cappuccino machine, flavored coffee is what I'm left with. And I consume it in those huge bowl cups.

Then the computer gets switched on and the work slowly begins...

I'm late to this Chico but I think Karen is right - you can't get a real latte without espresso. However, that doesn't mean you can't get a wonderful coffee to start your day with. I use a drip brewer but I grind my beans very finely - like a turkish grind. To make something similar to a latte, I put extra coffee in the basket with a normal amount of water. It gives you a very strong coffee. While it's brewing, I like to nuke some heavy cream til hot and then either pour it straight into the coffee or froth it a little before adding to the coffee. You can use plain milk, too, but it's not as rich. You'll see it doesn't taste like a traditional latte but it's still yummy and packs a caffeine punch.

Just a quick comment regarding coffee strength for making lattes. I tried using my triple strength cold-brewed coffee but it was too weak. My faux latte uses 6x strength instant coffee.

Back
Top Bottom