"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Latte' and my myriad questions.

Under Wisconsin law (The Board of Transportation and Safety), I am required to consume two huge bowl-size cups of latte' (or cappuccino, if I have been sharpening stilettos) before leaving my domicile in the morning.

Now, my concern is, am I doing it right? The best coffee machine I have ever used is a nine-dollar model that my wife found at a store clearance sale. It is festooned with Nascar racing decals, it looks ridiculous, but it makes the best coffee I've ever tasted--even from a snobby barista.

And that's the problem. It makes coffee. I wore out my cappuccino machine and I have most of my funds tied up in chrome.

So, (and don't laugh), I buy flavored cream and silk milk, make the coffee or Italian blend a wee bit stronger and mix it on the fly.

As I slide out of bed early to feed the pups and look for a victim on whom to bloviate my displeasure in a world gone mad, it works pretty good. But obviously, I could do better.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Executive Chef

There is a law that says you have to consume coffee? Seriously? Can I read that, I'm dying of curiousity to see that and then maybe find out if the guy that wrote that law owned stock in Starbucks

Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Actually, it's the 'school year ritual.'

Mt wife is a teacher. And when summer ends and the school year begins she leaves the house quite early. Naturally, the mutts sleep in.

However, I am retired and sleep in. By the time I get up, the dogs need to go out, they're hungry (and we make their food), my computer is whistling like a kettle, I'm groggy...

For the first 30 minutes, I'm on auto-pilot. And during this time, the coffee maker hums away until I get my chores done, and I can sit over the coffee.

Woe to the person who calls me during this "chores but no coffee" cycle.

Do you have any suggestions on a rapid-cycling latte' and cappucino machine? Usually I "load" the coffee maker the night before so all I have to do in the morning is just plug it in.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Okay, I'm confused, there's a law that says you have to have coffee and now it's your wife doesn't wake you. Am I missing something? Obviously I'm missing something. Your coffee that the law says you have to have takes 30 minutes to brew? I'm lost.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Senior Cook

If you saw me during that first 30 minutes of a new school year, you'd agree.

In my 20s, 30's and 40s I used to get up--fully awake--at 4:00AM to go to the gym and then off to work on a job with no formalized quitting time. Never bothered me.

However, in my 50s it did bother me. Muscle soreness didn't go away as fast. In fact, I once pulled myself up to rise, but found myself still in bed at 8:00AM.

Now we have dogs, my wife has started her own business, I do have more free time and I'm a leather-clad house husband. I cannot tell you the number of times I've ran into my own furniture trying to navigate my chores in the morning.

Even the smell of the coffee brewing is invigorating. And that first sip over the morning paper is really a joy.

But as I said, I create that latte' by brewing very strong coffee and adding those grocery store flavored coffee creamers. I'd much rather have a working cappuccino machine, I wore out the former one.

I really need a machine I can load and then "click on" in the morning. I notice that there is a thread here about leaving coffee out. I've wondered the same thing--but packed into a cappuccino machine, and left over night, just a few hours.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Agree with what?

What exactly is your question. Maybe if you'd just outright ask, someone could help.

And I still don't understand the thing about the law.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Simply, can I use my existing machine to brew components for a decent latte' or must I purchase a cappuccino machine. (It only makes coffee, not espresso.)

And once having attained the proper equipment, can I "load" it and not damage the flavor of the coffee by letting it sit out for five or six hours.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Executive Chef

A latte, by original definition, is just double strength coffee poured into warm milk. We have a coffee pot with a timer that we use every day with no problems. To create a latte you would only need to double the grounds and then add the heated milk. By definition a cappuccino is different than a latte.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

What I came to post is that latte is just coffee and milk (it does not even have to be double strength).
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
A latte, or a cappuccino, is made with espresso and milk.

Latte:
About 3 times more espresso than milk and a shallow head of foam - the milk is more just steamed versus creating all the froth, maybe an inch of foam on top or less.

Cappuccino:
About equal parts espresso and milk where the milk is frothed and poured on top of the espresso (very little actual liquid milk involved.

To take it a step further if you put the foam in first, and pour the espresso in the middle, you have created a macchiato.

If you want to use your regular coffee for making espresso you just have to grind it finer.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote