Latte, espresso, chai and too many of the appliances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be....I love coffee myself but I am a simple man. I still find myself amused by the look on the face of the kid behind the Starbucks counter several years ago. I asked him for cup of regular black coffee. I thought he was gonna have to get his supervisor to help him. :LOL:
Over here a regular black coffee is called an Americano. The only problem is that "they" (Starbucks, Costa, et al) all insist on serving milk with it. I've got into the habit of asking for a "black Americano". It generally confuses them but whatever.

However, I went into a coffee shop a few weeks ago and asked for a black Americano only to receive a withering look from the child behind the counter and "An Americano IS a black coffee, Madam" in scathing tones Hmm, that was me put in my place.

Over here a regular black coffee is called an Americano. The only problem is that "they" (Starbucks, Costa, et al) all insist on serving milk with it. I've got into the habit of asking for a "black Americano". It generally confuses them but whatever.

However, I went into a coffee shop a few weeks ago and asked for a black Americano only to receive a withering look from the child behind the counter and "An Americano IS a black coffee, Madam" in scathing tones Hmm, that was me put in my place.

You had to deal with people who don't pay attention until you found one who did. Doesn't happen often.

Around here we have a very popular donut shop chain that's known for its coffee. I used to ask for a coffee with cream and ONE SUGAR (emphasis in my voice too). Invariably they would put in three or four sugars. I watched them do it then made them do it over. Now I just order a coffee with cream and add my own sugar.

I hate Starbucks. I will only go there if I'm on a trip and it's the only place around. They burn their coffee beans to bitter and they have an arrogant attitude. I'm reminded of hearing someone ask, in a Starbucks, what a Venti was. The barista replied, in a very condescending manner, "It's Italian for 20 ounces. It's what it's called in Italy."

I don't think so. Not only would they not be serving 20 ounce cups of espresso in Italy, they don't use ounces. Italy has been metric for a long time (since 1861).

Over here a regular black coffee is called an Americano.
Over here, if you ask for an Americano at most coffee shops, you'll get a double espresso mixed with hot water to cut back the strength. It comes from WWII, when GIs stationed in Europe couldn't get proper American drip coffee in European cafes, so they improvised.

I'm a bit of a coffee nut myself, so I can relate to your plight. My wife and I have a fairly nice Gaggia super-automatic, as well as a Bunn drip coffee maker we keep around for guests who prefer that style. Both machines and the juicer we keep over on the beverage portion of the counter only take up about 4 feet of space. The French press is in the cupboard. Oh, and we have a "Toddy" coffee maker, too. Simple as can be, but makes a fantastic cuppa Joe. :)

Steve, what's a "Toddy" coffee maker? Yeah, we have a few ways to make coffee here as well: espresso machine, drip coffee machine, manual drip coffee, French press, and stove top moka maker.

I don't think those soldiers were missing drip coffee. They were used to percolator coffee (which isn't wonderful coffee) and those vacuum coffee makers that were standard in restos until some time in the '70s. They make pretty good coffee. I wouldn't mind getting one of those.

0.jpg

You had to deal with people who don't pay attention until you found one who did. Doesn't happen often.

Around here we have a very popular donut shop chain that's known for its coffee. I used to ask for a coffee with cream and ONE SUGAR (emphasis in my voice too). Invariably they would put in three or four sugars. I watched them do it then made them do it over. Now I just order a coffee with cream and add my own sugar.

I try to keep it simple. Mainly because those behind the counter are not always on their toes and the brightest. Tall light with extra sugar. The drive thru drives me crazy. They never get it right. But my favorite place is across the street from the day care in Winthrop. They are so used to seeing me, that as soon as I walk through the door, there is one lady that doesn't even ask. By the time I reach the counter, my coffee is ready to go. With a collar around the cup. Also, unless you order milk, you will always get half and half. It is a given and understood.

There are some of the popular ones Andy mentioned that are in downtown Boston. Lines out the door starting at eight in the morning. They have it down to a science. And they very rarely screw up an order. Single cups in one line, multiple orders with donuts in another line. The one I used to go to had one worker just going from station to station making sure their was a fresh pot going all the time. Tips went into a large jar at each station. Most folks just tossed their extra change in it. Took only the bills back. Unless it was just a one dollar. Andy, don't you just love the way after the food tax was added it always comes out to an odd cents. Like $1.63? Never an even amount. And different at every store? Including the size of the cups?

For this area of the country, a regular to go is with cream and two sugars. And it is a small cup.

I don't even like to walk by a Starbucks. :angel:

Last edited:
Steve, what's a "Toddy" coffee maker?
Toddy is a brand name for a cold brew coffee system. Essentially you put an entire pound of ground coffee into a thing that looks a hopper with a filter in the bottom. You then add water and set it over a receiving carafe. Over the course of several hours the water makes its way through the coffee and into the container.

What you're left with is cold coffee concentrate that you blend to taste with water and reheat. Since no heat was used in the brew process, the coffee has no harsh elements and is much lower in acid.

Italian coffee aside, it's my favorite.

Toddy is a brand name for a cold brew coffee system. Essentially you put an entire pound of ground coffee into a thing that looks a hopper with a filter in the bottom. You then add water and set it over a receiving carafe. Over the course of several hours the water makes its way through the coffee and into the container.

What you're left with is cold coffee concentrate that you blend to taste with water and reheat. Since no heat was used in the brew process, the coffee has no harsh elements and is much lower in acid.

Italian coffee aside, it's my favorite.

I need one of those!!! Looking it up!

I hate Starbucks. I will only go there if I'm on a trip and it's the only place around. They burn their coffee beans to bitter and they have an arrogant attitude. I'm reminded of hearing someone ask, in a Starbucks, what a Venti was. The barista replied, in a very condescending manner, "It's Italian for 20 ounces. It's what it's called in Italy."

I don't think so. Not only would they not be serving 20 ounce cups of espresso in Italy, they don't use ounces. Italy has been metric for a long time (since 1861).

The coffee's no better over here.

I'd be swinging from the rafters and singing "Nellie Dean" if I drank 20 ounces of espresso at on sitting!

Back
Top Bottom