"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Since I saw that hibiscus tea lowers high blood pressure even better than meds in some studies, I've been drinking store brand raspberry hibiscus and Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger, which has hibiscus (thanks Alix!) on ice. Can't find the straight hibiscus (jamaica) here, but will get some when we go back to Mexico.
I totally forgot to send you the link to Stash's hibiscus tea! Here it is. I like this tea, but I'm happy that most of my "fruity" teas seem to have a lot of hibiscus in them. There used to be a tea called rosehip hibiscus, made by Bigelow I think. It was tasty.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
on the matter if steeping/brewing, do youbring your water to a full boil, then let it come down to the steeping temp? do you scald your cups first?

i was taught by an old, gruff, thick sweatered, pipe smoking irish fisherman many years ago that those are the three key things to a good cup of tea.
Our water is very hard so I try to catch the water JUST before it hits a hard boil. I find if I let it boil and wait a bit the tea tastes far more acidic. Oh and yep, I scald the pot/cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
BT, actually I have the best luck when I bring the water up to right before it boils. Also, I am sure to brew for a full 5 minutes for the perfect cup of tea. Actually, I prefer it when DH does these things and brings it to me on Sunday mornings before I even get out of bed. He even warms the cup or the pot for one before making my tea. I am so spoiled!!
Wow! That guy is a keeper!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
Head Chef

I like Lemon Zinger by Celestial Seasonings.
Also, loose mint tea - I usually buy Frontier organic.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Its freaking addictive is what it is! It is white tea, with a hint of mint and ginger. Its very soothing to an upset tummy and it just rolls across your palate. Lovely stuff. Who makes Constant Comment?

Chopper, I like black tea too, but try to limit the amount I drink of it. Since I drink so MUCH tea, I'm trying not to irreparably stain my teeth. Irish Breakfast is a good one.
Bigelow makes Constant Comment. It has a hint or orange and cloves. It is great hot or cold.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Head Chef

I'll change it up seasonally, but year-round, I drink a lot of simple sencha green tea. I used to like genmaicha, but for some reason (probably age), starting about six years ago, it would consistently knot/cramp my stomach, so it's off my list. I also have a couple bags left of Celestial Seasonings's SleepyTime in the freezer.

I drink tea often enough that I have a 2.2 liter Zojirushi "magic pot" that can keep my water at any temp, and dispense it with a push of a button. I also have a nearly full complement of utensils for a formal Japanese tea ceremony and a ziploc of powdered tea in the freezer, but it's mostly just for decoration (I'd be too embarrassed to try hosting a guest with it).

And yes, scald the cup. Or, the Asian rule of insult goes, never serve the first pour.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I like Bigelow's English Teatime and Lipton Green Tea with Orange.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have to work in the morning or else I would start listing all the teas I have...I'm trying to get used to the Red Zinger, for blood pressure reasons. But, I love the strong Black Teas and Green Teas.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I prefer a rosehip-hibiscus mix to Red Zinger. I'm not fond of chamomile. I only have chamomile for medicinal purposes. I have some rose-hibiscus in the fridge at the moment. I love it as iced tea.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have to work in the morning or else I would start listing all the teas I have...I'm trying to get used to the Red Zinger, for blood pressure reasons. But, I love the strong Black Teas and Green Teas.
PF, almost every fruity tea that Celestial Seasonings makes has hibiscus in it. Check the link I posted as well. Stash's hibiscus tea is lovely.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
PF, almost every fruity tea that Celestial Seasonings makes has hibiscus in it. Check the link I posted as well. Stash's hibiscus tea is lovely.
I guess I'm just not a fruity tea lover. I don't mind the Red Zinger, but it's not habit forming for me.