"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Alix- no I haven't had the bottled green tea yet. I can't imagine its that good. I know the cheaper teas go into their bottled soft drinks. The tea thats even too low for their standard teas. but I'll admit I was a snob before, and I've learned my lesson. I'll give them a try before I make my final decision.

ONe type of tea I HATE is Canadian Iced tea. The stuff is horrible! Its like southern iced tea, but slightly less sweet and totally fake tasting. It comes either in a soda gun at bars, or in powdered instant form. the stuff is horrible, but most canadians like it. I've brewed some real iced tea for the foyer at the inn, some like it, some just say "oooh yuck this is real tea"- I kid you not, some people get upset at the fact that its real.

on another note, **** Candians have some good oysters and asparagus!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
Senior Cook

no offense to Canadian ice tea lovers!

but **** it is pretty bad.

Red rose tea is terrible, I wonder if it was this bad before Lipton took it over. I've heard of many Red Rose fans. With the stuff I just tasted I don't see how. It must have been better before.

I still want to know if lipton uses fair trade or not. I can't understand how their yellow label can be so good if they don't abuse some farmers. ( I could be wrong though, this is just me blabling)

Old 01-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
Master Chef

I'm not sure what droll means and also what do you mean by Yellow label?

I find Red rose very strong which I like. Regular Lipton tea is pretty blend by comparacing. The flavor is another story. But that is why I like to mix Indian and Ceylon teas. One has flavor and the other one is very strong.

But hey, taste is very personal thing.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
Everymom

OK Fincher, I confess. I love Good Host powdered Ice Tea. LMAO. I can only mitigate my poor taste by also saying I love my own home brewed suntea that is made from wonderful fresh tea. LOL. I think there is room for both in my world. Sometimes you just gotta have a tall glass of that sweet stuff.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Biglow has some great tasting teas. Green tea and pomegranite is one of my favorites. BTW, I have some Oolong tea that I got from a friend (originally from China). Does anyone know what effects it has besides weight control?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
Everymom

Oolong tea health benefits.

Article with much info.

Personally Dina, I think any tea or coffee would serve a similar purpose. Just gives you the energy boost you need to exercise a bit more to burn off those calories.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Red Rose Canada and Red Rose U.S. are two different companies, and their tea is packaged in two different places.

BTW, Red Rose Canada was, at one time, owned by Brooke, Bond & Company.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thanks for the article Alix. Now if I could just push myself to start exercising...argh!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #19
Everymom

Caine, does that mean it is a different product or just different packaging? They could still get the same tea leaves shipped from China right? I don't know that much about it, but I like to learn.

Dina, LOL to the exercising thing. Get a dog that needs walking. You will be amazed at how fast the lbs start dropping off you.