"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
That looks like a good recipe but 3/4 cups of sugar for 2 liters...is that better than soda pop?
Considering Coca-Cola contains 240g of sugar in a 2 liter bottle (roughly 1.25 cups), along with phosphoric acid and caffeine, I would say it's definitely better.

But as you know, that's the beauty of making your own. You can sweeten it to your own taste. I use a cup of brown sugar for a one gallon batch and that's about right for me. Plus, as mentioned, some of the sugar gets fermented off.
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 25
Excellent! Since the recipe makes 2 litters I purchased a cap that will allow me to force carbonate from the large co2 tanks. I'll experiment with the simple sugar idea and if I like the result I'll ramp up to the 5 gallon kegs I normally use in my beer fridge. Thank you everyone for your ideas. I'll post back my results but it will probably be a few weeks. In the meantime I will continue to monitor this thread for any further ideas.
__________________

__________________
davemchine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Would you mind explaining the process? Do you make fizzy water and add syrup? Could you take frozen orange juice concentrate and dilute it with fizzy water instead of plain water? Would it carbonate a beverage that was already at the right concentration?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 25
When I make beer I have two choices to carbonate the beverage. 1) I can add sugar which the yeast converts to co2 or 2) I can use a tank of co2 connected to a keg (or in this case a 2 litter bottle) to force carbonate.

The recipe mentioned above uses sugar and yeast to naturally carbonate. Some of the sugar would not be converted though and would leave some residual sweetness. So if I were to force carbonate the same recipe minus the sugar it would not be sweet enough. So TaxLady is suggesting I add simple sugar at the end until I get the desired sweetness. Does that make sense?
__________________
davemchine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
When I make beer I have two choices to carbonate the beverage. 1) I can add sugar which the yeast converts to co2 or 2) I can use a tank of co2 connected to a keg (or in this case a 2 litter bottle) to force carbonate.

The recipe mentioned above uses sugar and yeast to naturally carbonate. Some of the sugar would not be converted though and would leave some residual sweetness. So if I were to force carbonate the same recipe minus the sugar it would not be sweet enough. So TaxLady is suggesting I add simple sugar at the end until I get the desired sweetness. Does that make sense?
I'm suggesting simple syrup, which is sugar already dissolved into water. Syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Simple syrup is made by stirring granulated sugar into hot water in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved and then cooling the solution."
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
One down side I can see to using simple syrup is that you are also diluting the recipe by adding additional liquid. What I would instead suggest is making up the recipe on the stove using half the amount of sugar called for, and then adjusting it to taste there, rather than sweetening after it's carbonated. For another thing, as soon as you add a sugar solution to several gallons of carbonated liquid, you are going to have a "soda volcano". Trust me, I know this from actual experience.

You've seen those Mentos/Coke videos on YouTube, right?
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
Also, when sweetening before carbonating, you'll want to sweeten just a tad more than you like, as CO2 reduces the perception of sweetness.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
My kids drink far too much soda and I would like to offer them an alternative that is healthier and still enjoyable to drink. I already make my own carbonated lemon aid which is delicious. I'd like to try something else. Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Btw, I will start small making single drinks till I find something I like. After that I'll make larger batches. I used to brew beer so I have a nice mini fridge, kegs, co2, etc. So whatever I make I can have "on tap".

Thanks for any suggestions!
Ginger beer? Not really beer. My mother used to make it and it was the only soft drink I'd drink Slightly fizzy, if IIRC. Sadly I haven't found the recipe among her effects. Ginger, water, sugar (ok, bad for their teeth but they can brush them or you can ration the GB) yeast and lemon juice, I think.

Elderflower cordial? Again, no recipe but you should be ale to find one on Google. Could be diluted with plain water or soda water or sparkling natural mineral water.

Orangeade - same method as lemonade but less sugar required

Non-alcoholic shrub - basically a fruit vinegar diluted with sparkling water. - sort of sweet with a tang to it. My grandmother used to make blackberry vinegar (dead easy) to be taken neat for coughs in winter and diluted into a very refreshing drink in hot weather.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
That looks like a good recipe but 3/4 cups of sugar for 2 liters...is that better than soda pop?
At least it IS sugar. Most of the carbonated drinks on sale in the UK have artificial sweeteners as well as sugar.

And it isn't just the sugar in bought soft drinks that causes manic behaviour - colourants are another of the villains. The café at the stables sell "Slush" a so-called "fruit flavoured" semi-frozen granite-style drink which comes in lurid colours - neon blue, fluorescent green and crimson. The lady who runs the café had to stop selling the blue one because she had so many complaints from parents about their children's evening tantrums after drinking it all day!
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Ginger beer? Not really beer. My mother used to make it and it was the only soft drink I'd drink Slightly fizzy, if IIRC. Sadly I haven't found the recipe among her effects. Ginger, water, sugar (ok, bad for their teeth but they can brush them or you can ration the GB) yeast and lemon juice, I think.

Elderflower cordial? Again, no recipe but you should be ale to find one on Google. Could be diluted with plain water or soda water or sparkling natural mineral water.

Orangeade - same method as lemonade but less sugar required

Non-alcoholic shrub - basically a fruit vinegar diluted with sparkling water. - sort of sweet with a tang to it. My grandmother used to make blackberry vinegar (dead easy) to be taken neat for coughs in winter and diluted into a very refreshing drink in hot weather.
If you google "Home made soft drinks" and look for the "Epicurious" site there's a list of recipes
__________________

__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drink

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.