Making Simple Syrup with Splenda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scott123, your post was very informative. You mentioned several sweeteners that I have not heard of. Since I am trying to lose weight and my husband is diabetic, I would like to know how hard to find, where to find, and how costly are some of the ones you suggest to combine with Splenda for the best results.

About the simple syrup viscoity, I realize that this would add carbs and calories, but could it be thickened with cornstarch?

Also, on the FTV website, there is a Paula Deen recipe for flourless peanut butter cookies made with Splenda. I have not tried them, but I have made flourless peanut butter cookies with sugar. Most of the reviews for the Splenda version are positive.

Thanks all!
I found the info on adding sweeteners to Splenda or Splenda Blend (which just has some sugar added) interesting but my problem lies in reducing glucose levels so I can create an occasional treat for those who usually shouldn't have any. I.E. every little bit less (sugar/carbs or fat) helps. I must emphsize occasional-like a birthday or some extra special event. The proof's on the glucometer window and ac1 tests don't lie!
My way of looking at it is to try and do as much as I can to reduce the sugar, and fat for that matter, in recipes and still taste great.
It's about carbs, but I'm not going to go into the Atkin's thing. They interpret carbs in a way that won't work when doing diabetic meal planning. I've had more than one diabetic educator or nutritionist roll their eyes when I bring the topic up. Besides, I'm more into the Weight Watchers way of thinking anyway.

I totally agree about the syrup problem. Splenda won't cut it. I've used a sort of wash made from regular splenda and water as a moistener for cakes-possibly using the blend would work a little better but that sort of defeats the purpose. By the time you get something acting like a syrup it would be inedible AND loaded with sugar.
I figure a product such as "Thick it", Quick Gel or cornstarch would be too gelatinous, but may work in some cases. Haven't tried but it may be worth a shot.
Stevia is one I'm interested in but hear there has been some bad press regarding aftertaste, never mind cost. Too expensive to experiment with. Splenda's bad enough.
I pretty much refuse to use saccharine or aspertame because I don't really have any use for the disappointing results. I will check out Sugar Twin-or was it Sugar One? Someone mentioned it.I'll go back and check. I may be out of luck though. Nearest Kroger is about 6 hours south (I'm in northern lower Michigan-north of Traverse City)
I'm pretty happy with Splenda and Splenda Baking Blend with the results I've had but hope one day there is a way to fake a decent buttercream without giving someone the runs or...?
Incidently, my FIL turned 90 the week he was diagnosed so I went a little overboard and made 3 cakes for his party-we were also entertaining one borderline and one insulin dependent diabetic, so it was important to me to go the extra mile. I also did an applesauce bundt cake last night that was pretty awesome-just subbed Egg beaters, changed the ratio of oil and applesauce, a little whole wheat pastry flour for white and my fil's eyes popped!! Only thing missing was a glaze, but I don't think HE missed it, that's what counts, right?! :-p Allison

Thickening Splenda Simple Syrup

When one Googles "can arrowroot replace cornstarch", the following response from forage.com appears, regarding thickening clear sauces (i.e. Splenda simple syrup, perhaps?). I have a batch of SSSyrup on the stove, will report back...:

This starch thickener has several advantages over cornstarch. It has a more neutral flavor, so it's a good thickener for delicately flavored sauces. It also works at a lower temperature, and tolerates acidic ingredients and prolonged cooking better. And while sauces thickened with cornstarch turn into a spongy mess if they're frozen, those made with arrowroot can be frozen and thawed with impunity. The downside is that arrowroot is pricier than cornstarch, and it's not a good thickener for dairy-based sauces, since it turns them slimy.

To thicken with arrowroot, mix it with an equal amount of cold water, then whisk the slurry into a hot liquid for about 30 seconds.

It is tasteless, and the fine powder becomes clear when it is cooked, which makes it ideal for thickening clear sauces.

Local Forage: Arrowroot: Cornstarch Substitute

Thanks all!
I found the info on adding sweeteners to Splenda or Splenda Blend (which just has some sugar added) interesting but my problem lies in reducing glucose levels so I can create an occasional treat for those who usually shouldn't have any. I.E. every little bit less (sugar/carbs or fat) helps. I must emphsize occasional-like a birthday or some extra special event. The proof's on the glucometer window and ac1 tests don't lie!
My way of looking at it is to try and do as much as I can to reduce the sugar, and fat for that matter, in recipes and still taste great.
It's about carbs, but I'm not going to go into the Atkin's thing. They interpret carbs in a way that won't work when doing diabetic meal planning. I've had more than one diabetic educator or nutritionist roll their eyes when I bring the topic up. Besides, I'm more into the Weight Watchers way of thinking anyway.

I totally agree about the syrup problem. Splenda won't cut it. I've used a sort of wash made from regular splenda and water as a moistener for cakes-possibly using the blend would work a little better but that sort of defeats the purpose. By the time you get something acting like a syrup it would be inedible AND loaded with sugar.
I figure a product such as "Thick it", Quick Gel or cornstarch would be too gelatinous, but may work in some cases. Haven't tried but it may be worth a shot.
Stevia is one I'm interested in but hear there has been some bad press regarding aftertaste, never mind cost. Too expensive to experiment with. Splenda's bad enough.
I pretty much refuse to use saccharine or aspertame because I don't really have any use for the disappointing results. I will check out Sugar Twin-or was it Sugar One? Someone mentioned it.I'll go back and check. I may be out of luck though. Nearest Kroger is about 6 hours south (I'm in northern lower Michigan-north of Traverse City)
I'm pretty happy with Splenda and Splenda Baking Blend with the results I've had but hope one day there is a way to fake a decent buttercream without giving someone the runs or...?
Incidently, my FIL turned 90 the week he was diagnosed so I went a little overboard and made 3 cakes for his party-we were also entertaining one borderline and one insulin dependent diabetic, so it was important to me to go the extra mile. I also did an applesauce bundt cake last night that was pretty awesome-just subbed Egg beaters, changed the ratio of oil and applesauce, a little whole wheat pastry flour for white and my fil's eyes popped!! Only thing missing was a glaze, but I don't think HE missed it, that's what counts, right?! :-p Allison

Hey, I'm close by up her in the Sault. The only sugar substitute products I know of that will give yo similar texture (as for making candies, syrups, etc.), and not spike blood sugar, are sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol, etc. Look up sugar alcohols on google and you will get sufficient into to let you know which sugar alcohol is right for what recipe you are making. You will also receive info about side effects of the products (many sugar alcohols, if eaten in excess have strong laxitive effects).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As promised, I used the arrowroot to thicken the watery Splenda Simple Syrup, and it worked like magic. No cloudiness, just thickened it nicely. See precious post for directions. :chef:

I've seen all the replies and I'm still confused. I want to use Splenda to make coffee flavorings. I supposed it doesn't matter if its thick or not, but I do want it add sweetness at the same time as flavoring, but not be so sweet its unusable. Any suggestions? For example: I want to make cinnamon. I want the health benefits of using cinnamon, not use cinnamon flavoring. Any suggestions? I've tried just using cinnamon in coffee and even when brewing, but that just doesn't work and makes a mess.

I want the health benefits of using cinnamon, not use cinnamon flavoring. Any suggestions?
If you want health benefits then why would you want to use processed Splenda (aka sucralose w/toxins) instead of pure organic unprocessed sugar like pure maple syrup, raw blue agave sweetener, honey, dates, fruits, etc?

It's proven that artificial sweeteners cause weight gain and belly fat which then leads to a host of serious medical issues. What happens is that the brain doesn't see Splenda any differently from regular sugar so when you eat Splenda then it just fuels the sugar addiction and causes you to crave even more sugar. Stevia is healthier than Splenda but even Stevia registers as regular sugar in the brain and therefore fuels the addiction leading to weight gain.

Yes, they are approved by the FDA and the ADA but the truth is that we are still in the guinea pig stage. The side effect of weight gain using artificial sweeteners is now widely accepted among experts based on clinical trials and research by Duke and other well known research centers.

Click on this link and then click on "next" to see all 7 side effects of artificial sweeteners in diet drinks...it's bad:
7 Side Effects of Drinking Diet Soda | Yahoo! Health

I want to use Splenda to make coffee flavorings....I do want to add sweetness at the same time as flavorings. For example: I want to make cinnamon. I want the health benefits of using cinnamon, not use cinnamon flavoring. Any suggestions?
I was taking your post all in context. You mentioned you wanted to use Splenda and add flavorings and sweetness at the same time. Then you mentioned your concern for the health benefits of cinnamon. Then asked for suggestions. I didn't mean for my post to offend but rather to be informative concerning health benefits and warnings. I admit I'm a little too focused on health these days and need to relax it. I should have softened my facts a bit as it's a sensitive subject at times. I just noticed this is your first day. I'm sorry Jan :flowers: Welcome.

Last edited:
We're good. To us using Splenda is a healthy alternative to sugar when you don't have alot of time or money to go the alternate routes. Without looking at the forums very closely, I wasn't sure if this was more of a venue for the more experienced chefs/cooks. Hence the reason I made my user name Jan the Home Cook lol. I just know cinnamon can be good for you. ;)

Yep. Big fan here. Probably one of the best gifts to Diabetics in recent culinary history, IMO!

Splenda DEFINATELY can be made into a simple syrup! The stuff can be substituted measurement for measurement for granulated sugar in just about any recipe. Unlike its sugar-substitute predecessors, Splenda (which is a form of sugar) can be subjected to heat making it very versatile in all forms of cooking. I'd have to check for the exact threshhold, but I know you can cook Splenda beyond 300 degrees F, because I've made candy with the stuff!

I'm sure the Atkins...er...uh...folks are all over its use in drink recipes, so you can probably google a ton of responses.

For a traditional simple syrup, combine 2 parts Splenda to 1 part water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly to dissolve the stuff and cook until it reaches about 220 degrees F. (Probably 2-3 minutes past a full, rolling boil at sea level.)

If this is for cocktails, I wouldn't bother cooking that long. I would combine equal parts of Splenda to water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat just until the Splenda is totally dissolved, then decant into a jar to be stored in the fridge.

Hope that helps!

(Thanks for the thoughts, PA!)

I am new at this, so I hope I am doing this right. Your ratio of 2S/1W, would that be good in ice cream/sorbet recipes? Wondering if it will be too thin, or if it even matters. Thanks for your insight. Will certainly be making this for teas!

I am new at this, so I hope I am doing this right. Your ratio of 2S/1W, would that be good in ice cream/sorbet recipes? Wondering if it will be too thin, or if it even matters. Thanks for your insight. Will certainly be making this for teas!
Hmm. Some studies appear to show that sucralose (ie the main ingredient in Splenda) may have toxic effects, including creation of dioxin-like compounds when sucralose is heated.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only reporting what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom