"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Link to more SS info/includes cinnamon

Sugar-free Simple Syrup | BigOven

Thought this might be of interest to you Jan

Old 08-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
Yep. Big fan here. Probably one of the best gifts to Diabetics in recent culinary history, IMO!

Splenda DEFINATELY can be made into a simple syrup! The stuff can be substituted measurement for measurement for granulated sugar in just about any recipe. Unlike its sugar-substitute predecessors, Splenda (which is a form of sugar) can be subjected to heat making it very versatile in all forms of cooking. I'd have to check for the exact threshhold, but I know you can cook Splenda beyond 300 degrees F, because I've made candy with the stuff!

I'm sure the Atkins...er...uh...folks are all over its use in drink recipes, so you can probably google a ton of responses.

For a traditional simple syrup, combine 2 parts Splenda to 1 part water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly to dissolve the stuff and cook until it reaches about 220 degrees F. (Probably 2-3 minutes past a full, rolling boil at sea level.)

If this is for cocktails, I wouldn't bother cooking that long. I would combine equal parts of Splenda to water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat just until the Splenda is totally dissolved, then decant into a jar to be stored in the fridge.

Hope that helps!

(Thanks for the thoughts, PA!)
I am new at this, so I hope I am doing this right. Your ratio of 2S/1W, would that be good in ice cream/sorbet recipes? Wondering if it will be too thin, or if it even matters. Thanks for your insight. Will certainly be making this for teas!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALZCAB View Post
I am new at this, so I hope I am doing this right. Your ratio of 2S/1W, would that be good in ice cream/sorbet recipes? Wondering if it will be too thin, or if it even matters. Thanks for your insight. Will certainly be making this for teas!
Hmm. Some studies appear to show that sucralose (ie the main ingredient in Splenda) may have toxic effects, including creation of dioxin-like compounds when sucralose is heated.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only reporting what I've read.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Looks like Sucralose is stable to 119 C (246 F). After that it breaks down.