"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Old 12-29-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Mango Cooler with Prickly Pear

This was a great addition to my Mexican Christmas feast. If you love great exotic tastes with wonderful color, give this one a try. Prickly pears (tunas) can be found at many Latin grocery stores or produce stands. Be careful when handling them, as the almost microscopic stickers can be quite unpleasant (take it from me!). From Rick Bayless' "One Plate at A Time."

Agua de Mango con Tuna

8 medium (about 6 lbs) ripe mangos
1 cup sugar, a little extra if needed
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3 large red-fleshed (not the green) prickly pears
Slices of lime for garnish

1. Peel the mangoes with a sharp paring knife. Pulling the flesh away from the pits might be a bit difficult. It's best to stand it on its end and cut slices around the core. In a blender, process the mango flesh into a puree. Push the mixture through a medium-mesh strainer into a bowl or large measuring cup(should be about 4 cups).

2. Pour into a large punch bowl and stir in 2 quarts of water, the sugar and lime juice; stir until the sugar is dissolved. Taste and add sugar or additional lime juice as needed

3. Peel the prickly pears by slicing off both ends and then making a shallow incision down the length of each fruit. WEAR GLOVES IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE IN PAIN. Peel the thickish exterior, exposing the crimson red flesh of the pear. Puree the flesh by pulsing it in a blender. Be very careful not to let the blender run too long or fast, as it will chop the seeds into the mixture. Push through a medium strainer to yield apx 1/2 cup. Stir into the mango mixture and serve over ice; add lime slice to each glass for garnish.

SEÑORMuttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Yummy! Thanks so much for the recipe!!! We love drinks like this. I think we're going to do a white Sangria for New Year's Eve - last year it was mojito's.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:40 AM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I've only seen prickly pears in a store once, and that was as a kid in Australia. Mum picked one up with her bare hands, not knowing what it was, the shop assistant came running over to tell her not to touch it....but too late....I remember her driving the car with her finger tips on the steering wheel, as her palms were in so much pain. Never saw a prickly pear again...however, I do remember mum bought the offending creature and it was delicious!

Your drink recipes all sound delicious, we're not very adventurous in Northern England, come summer I think I'll throw a party and try out some of these.
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote