"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef

GOURMET GREG;

Charlie Sheen ! I do quite prefer Martin Sheen and especially in his lead role and Directorship of his lastest film ( 2011 ) THE SANTIAGO WAY, about the Pilgrimage Route through Northern Spain, as his fatherīs family was Galician ( the northwestern corner of Spain ) ...

You shall have a deep understanding of Spainīs traditional culture from this film ... Excellent film, covering Emotions, history, scenery and photography is breathtakingly beautiful, humor, and seeking ...

Ciao. Thanks for posting your sense of humor.
Margi.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Executive Chef

@ Bakechef,

Horchata which is indigenious to Valencia FROM A TUBER WHICH IS LIKE A NUT, TIGER MILK " CHUFA " in Valencian, Spain and does not taste anything like rice ... A bit like blanched almonds ...

Can we be discussing two different types of Horchata ???

Margi.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

That recipe sounds delicious! I think I would cheat and buy a box of Rice or Almond Dream and just spice it up. Although, from scratch it may be creamier and thicker....?
I bet adding rum, like Sailor Jerry, would be really yummy. Although, I wonder if it would curdle. Horchata curddles in my coffee and so I have stuck with good old fashioned cream.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Horchata is made from a TUBER ( CHUFA ) TIGER EYE

Ciao.

As you aware, Horchata is a tiger eye milk made from a tuber called Horchata in Valencia ...

This tuber, is similar to a nut, like an almond however, much larger.

Sorry, however, it does not taste like Rice ...

You have mentioned something I believe could be a brand stretched product, however, since I live in Europe, I do not know. To my knowledge, there are NO products except a blanched almond that tastes similar ( not the same ) to the tuber titled. That is why I suggested the recipe ...

I do not really believe it would be a great cocktail -- it is used for Children in Valencia or icecream making.

Ciao. Thanks for post.
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
...Can we be discussing two different types of Horchata ???

Margi.
Entirely possible. The majority of recipes online are Mexican in origin and include rice. That there is a Spanish version which is different is not surprising.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Executive Chef

The name of the bulbs or tubers are different

These 2 Horchatas are False Friends and have nothing in common ...

Both are indigenious to 2 distinct parts of the world ...

Sorry.

I have never heard of Mexican Horchata and I lived in the country for two years. Valencian is from a tuber, Called a chufa in Spanish -- TIGER NUT...
It has a slight similarity to almond.

Nothing at all like rice ---

Margi. Ciao. thanx for all the posting.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

No one is arguing they are the same. The OP specifically referenced Mexican horchata. I think everyone understands the tiger nut version is a different drink that shares the name.

If you take the time to Google 'horchata recipe', you will find dozens that include rice and reference it as a Mexican drink. You must have lived in a part of Mexico that didn't enjoy this drink.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Executive Chef

@ Andy: it is rice water

Okay, I see that there are two totally different drinks with the same name. The one in Valencian is thick like a malted almond milk and the one in Mexico, Jamaica and Central America is a water made of rice ---

Where the Valencian is made of a tuber bulb called Chufa Horchata
and is nothing like a rice ---

Okay.

I am not ticked with anyone as this is not me ... all of us have just kept going around in circles --- however, enjoy the almonds if you wish to try it --- got to run ... Have work to do ...

I lived in Mexico DF for 2 yrs.

Have nice evening.
Margi.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

The rice dream product I mentioned is indeed a boxed, manufactured rice milk product. It's lightly creamy and has a very subtle nutty flavor. All of the taquerias where I live have a jug of "horchata" on the counter that is made of rice milk....It's been so long since I had it....I guess today is a good day to refresh my memory and see if it's like the boxed stuff.

According to wikipedia, horchata is originally from Valencia and made of tiger "nuts" just like Margi said, and it dates back to the 8th century. But it looks as though the word horchata has come to be a more generic term used for drinks made from ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, barley, and tiger nuts. I don't know if this helps clear anything up for anyone. I thought it was interesting enough to share. I think as explorers moved about the globe, they got practical and used whatever they could to make their traditional foods and beverages.
-Lord knows what they serve as coffee in Nepal is nothing like what I call coffee!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
I have never heard of Mexican Horchata and I lived in the country for two years.
Here in Los Angeles we have one of the largest concentrations of Latino populations in all the US, and many of them Mexican citizens, so there's a very strong Mexican influence here. However most non-Latinos have never heard of Horchata. The only reason I've heard about it is because I'm a foodie and I've tried foods and drinks from many of our local cultures, ethnicities and nationalities.

I never knew anybody made it from a recipe. Horchata to me is a bottled product that you buy in a Latino market or get served in a Mexican restaurant.

Tags
drink, mexican, rice