"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Everymom

Milk

How much milk does your family go through in a week? Or per day if you have figured that out. Recently, I am really struggling to keep up with milk consumption. It seems like I just buy a jug and it is empty. I'm not complaining, I'm just astonished at how fast we go through it. We go through about 2 liters per day, or a big 4 liter jug every 2 days. Ken and I don't drink a ton of milk, so that is mostly the girls drinking it.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Haven't had to think about this subject in quite a while, but when all 5 of our children were at home, we easily went through a gallon per day. We even joked about having to get a cow.

I'm a huge milk drinker. Aways have been. Buck is just the opposite. As a result, with just the two of us, a gallon lasts a little under a week.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

You couldn't pay me to drink milk I use it in recipes or baking, but the big milk fans here are the kids..We go through two half gallons a week!

kadesma
Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

I love skim milk. I drink about a half gallon a week on my own.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

We're lucky if we get thru a gallon at home. HH wants no part of it, except on cereal. I take a quart to the office for my morning Cheerios or whatever that lasts a week.

Daughter has taken to deciding not to drink any milk in the house unless the sell by date is w/in one or two days. She's getting fastidious that way.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Master Chef

My husband is a big-time whole-grain cereal nut, so goes thru a gallon or more of lactose-free milk a week.

I, on the other hand, treat myself to half-&-half, a dollop of which makes its way into my one cup of morning coffee. Other than that, & recipe use, I don't use milk.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

We buy 1/2 gallon of 2% as needed, depending on baking needs. No big milk drinkers here. Mostly just moring cereal etc.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

With just the two of us now, we go through about 2 gallons a week. As you can see , we are big milk drinkers. We have a big glass of milk at every meal. I also use a lot of milk to make puddings and a white sauce. ( I forgot to say, we drink 1%.)
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 AM   #9
Executive Chef

We are not big milk consumers. I don't drink straight milk but add it to hot beverages. DH on the other hand can't stand the taste of milk, so drinks only skimmed or buttermilk. Most of the time, it is used in cooking and baking.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
Executive Chef

You'll see that consumption ebb and flow as years go by. When we got married in 1983, we barely needed a quart a week. For the most part, it was only for coffee. We tossed more out than we ever finished.

When the kids were born in 1985 and 1988, and began drinking milk instead of formula, I went through a couple of gallons of 2% per week. It more or less stayed in the one gallon a week camp for about 10 years, until they hit the teens and the idea of eating breakfast went out the window. Then I was down to half a gallon a week. I stayed there for 6 or 7 years. At some point I switched to 1%.

Now that both are home for the summer, and both eat cereal around noon (if they have no classes or work), I'm back up to a gallon a week. Funny, they use it in their coffee, now, too. I've switched to light cream for my coffee.

I suspect that when Coco goes back to school in the fall and Mark gets his first 'wear a suit to work' job, I'll probably be back at a quart a week. More money to spend on wine, I say.