Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
How much milk does your family go through in a week? Or per day if you have figured that out. Recently, I am really struggling to keep up with milk consumption. It seems like I just buy a jug and it is empty. I'm not complaining, I'm just astonished at how fast we go through it. We go through about 2 liters per day, or a big 4 liter jug every 2 days. Ken and I don't drink a ton of milk, so that is mostly the girls drinking it.

Haven't had to think about this subject in quite a while, but when all 5 of our children were at home, we easily went through a gallon per day. We even joked about having to get a cow.:LOL:

I'm a huge milk drinker. Aways have been. Buck is just the opposite. As a result, with just the two of us, a gallon lasts a little under a week.

You couldn't pay me to drink milk:sick: I use it in recipes or baking, but the big milk fans here are the kids..We go through two half gallons a week!

kadesma:)

We're lucky if we get thru a gallon at home. HH wants no part of it, except on cereal. I take a quart to the office for my morning Cheerios or whatever that lasts a week.

Daughter has taken to deciding not to drink any milk in the house unless the sell by date is w/in one or two days. She's getting fastidious that way.

My husband is a big-time whole-grain cereal nut, so goes thru a gallon or more of lactose-free milk a week.

I, on the other hand, treat myself to half-&-half, a dollop of which makes its way into my one cup of morning coffee. Other than that, & recipe use, I don't use milk.

With just the two of us now, we go through about 2 gallons a week. As you can see , we are big milk drinkers. We have a big glass of milk at every meal. I also use a lot of milk to make puddings and a white sauce. ( I forgot to say, we drink 1%.)

We are not big milk consumers. I don't drink straight milk but add it to hot beverages. DH on the other hand can't stand the taste of milk, so drinks only skimmed or buttermilk. Most of the time, it is used in cooking and baking.

You'll see that consumption ebb and flow as years go by. When we got married in 1983, we barely needed a quart a week. For the most part, it was only for coffee. We tossed more out than we ever finished.

When the kids were born in 1985 and 1988, and began drinking milk instead of formula, I went through a couple of gallons of 2% per week. It more or less stayed in the one gallon a week camp for about 10 years, until they hit the teens and the idea of eating breakfast went out the window. Then I was down to half a gallon a week. I stayed there for 6 or 7 years. At some point I switched to 1%.

Now that both are home for the summer, and both eat cereal around noon (if they have no classes or work), I'm back up to a gallon a week. Funny, they use it in their coffee, now, too. I've switched to light cream for my coffee.

I suspect that when Coco goes back to school in the fall and Mark gets his first 'wear a suit to work' job, I'll probably be back at a quart a week. More money to spend on wine, I say.

Now it's zero milk here! Never did like the stuff, though I had a brother and a son who would chug the stuff by the gallon when both were younger.

I usually have a half-pint of cream or half & half in the fridge to cook with for pastas or whatnot where consistancy is important.

I use soy in my oatmeal and smoothies and such though.

:heart:
Z

Katie E said:
I'm a huge milk drinker. Aways have been. Buck is just the opposite. As a result, with just the two of us, a gallon lasts a little under a week.

DH and I are exactly the same! He'll eat it on cereal, but rarely drinks a glass of it (unless there's ice cream in there, too!). Between my drinking it with dinner and our breakfast cereal, we go through about a gallon a week.

I've noticed lately that milk prices seem to have really jumped and just heard to expect them to rise again, too.:( Maybe we should consider those cows, Katie!:ROFLMAO:

A half gallon of milk lasts us about 2 or 3 weeks. We don't drink it, mainly for cooking purposes only. Hubby will have a glass once in a while. I can't stand to drink it. We usually get the organic stuff since it tends to have a longer shelf life.

We only use half n half in our coffee... and we use canned milk for some recipes. But I can't even remember the last time we bought 'milk'.

Growing up, we used to have milk on the table in accompanyment to our meal, and had cold cereal for breakfast most every morn. I think we went through a lot of it back then but, since I wasn't buyin', I'd have no clue as to how much... but it was a lot.

The older I get the harder it is for me to drink milk. Or rather drinking is not the problem it is what happens after. But we still go thru a lot of milk, at least 4 gallons per week.

We go through 3 gallons a week. Sometimes 4. When I was little my mom was buying 2 gallons of milk per day between my dad and I.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom