OJ vs OJ vs OJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you do a taste comparison, side by side of fresh squeezed, frozen and the "never frozen" stuff in the refrigerate section of the store you may be surprised.

The "fresh" in the bottle stuff is MUCH stronger. The reason is that for most brands they add flavor packs that are designed to make them taste richer.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/100-percent-orange-juice-artificial_n_913395.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e4CEm9yybo

Properly stored frozen should taste good and you can control the strength.

If you like really fresh squeezed but not the hassle and expense, consider adding 1 fresh orange to a can of frozen.

Ducking now...
And that is why we buy frozen orange juice. I notice they don't have anything bad to say about frozen o.j. in any of the videos. I sure don't want to pay more for more processed juice and then have to schlep all that water home from the store.

I was going to mention adding one fresh orange juice to frozen. If you live somewhere far from where oranges grow, like me near Montreal, QC, this actually tastes even better than fresh squeezed. The oranges are properly ripe when the juice gets frozen, not so much when they have travelled hundreds of kilometres. I have made the home squeezed o.j. here in Montreal, but really, frozen o.j. in the blender with one orange is better. I used something like this to squeeze my o.j. Mine was red.

retro-50s-vintage-JuiceKing-orange-juicer-handoperated-metal-reamer-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-k321108-2.jpg

Sorry, getting like young kids with no punctuation,lol.
Serve with ice, worst ever sauce, (translation Worcester sauce) Tabasco, sorry an American friend on another forum calls it worst ever sauce.

Russ

Ah, I am 57, and I have never heard that one. I love learning new things. :LOL:

Hey, wouldn't be funny if my name was Heinz?

CD

And that is why we buy frozen orange juice. I notice they don't have anything bad to say about frozen o.j. in any of the videos. I sure don't want to pay more for more processed juice and then have to schlep all that water home from the store.

I was going to mention adding one fresh orange juice to frozen. If you live somewhere far from where oranges grow, like me near Montreal, QC, this actually tastes even better than fresh squeezed. The oranges are properly ripe when the juice gets frozen, not so much when they have travelled hundreds of kilometres. I have made the home squeezed o.j. here in Montreal, but really, frozen o.j. in the blender with one orange is better. I used something like this to squeeze my o.j. Mine was red.

retro-50s-vintage-JuiceKing-orange-juicer-handoperated-metal-reamer-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-k321108-2.jpg

And yet, different brands of prepared OJ claim they are better because "they are not from concentrate"...What the heck could be better?
We all buy frozen foods because they are frozen at perfection.
I continue to buy a sale carton of prepared OJ only because I'm too lazy to get out a pitcher and mix the frozen concentrate with some water. ;)
Besides, the top shelf of my fridge is reserved for my boxed wine, ice tea pitcher and a pitcher of bottled water..the important stuff. :D

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you, but even the big brands like Florida's Natural and Simply Orange, are not fresh squeezed orange juice. They are not made from frozen concentrate, but they are just as processed as the frozen-concentrated stuff.

I buy Simply Orange because I like it. That's the only reason. I know it is highly processed, just like all the other big brands, but it tastes good to me.

Unless you squeeze it yourself, or buy it from a store that squeezes it on-site, it is processed -- whether part of that process is concentrating and freezing, or not.

Short video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYPdTvqitg

Longer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz3J8L_l99E

Orange Juice is great. I love it -- sometimes with vodka. ;)

But, it is one of the most misunderstood beverages on the market. As consumers, we have basically been conned.

BTW, Craig, I love Florida oranges, but when it comes to grapefruit, Texas Ruby Red blows Florida grapefruit away. :cool: :D :angel:

CD

I do too, especially from the area where they forcefully cut down peoples trees to try and stop the spread of canker to protect a few citrus growers. That area where the state decided to impose on citizens rights had a population of over 2 million at the time. Four hurricanes put an end to that by spreading canker all over the state!:ROFLMAO: Since most Florida oranges go to make juice, the growers were not really hurt.

I buy low acid orange juice, thank you juice makers. Orange juice and some breakfast items don't mix well in my stomach, such as cereal grains mixed with orange juice.

Last edited:

I always though, in the back of my mind, that the premium OJs tasted just a bit too much like OJ to be unprocessed with nothing added, but this video really brought it home! Thank you very much.

I'm sure they add a base, like baking soda.
I wonder. I don't much like the low acid one because it is low flavour, so we haven't bought it since that one trial. I don't remember there being any base listed under ingredients. Maybe someone who has some low acid o.j. should have a look.

Doing a quick search on Google, I'm finding that there are naturally low-acid varieties of oranges, like Valencia and Mandarin, that can be used in those versions. Similar to how Meyer lemons have less acid, and a milder flavor, than the more common Eureka lemons.

Vanelcia oranges are my favorite oranges (and nice tart tangerines) but hard to find.

The most popular around here seems to be navel oranges. Those are always available. I think they are flavorless, dry oranges. Are they pregnant? I hate the whole orange in orange crap.

Many of our neighbors have delicous Valencia orange trees and love to share. Navel oranges aren't worth the trouble of squeezing as they are too fibrous and contain little juice.

Last edited:
Vanelcia oranges are my favorite oranges (and nice tart tangerines) but hard to find.

The most popular around here seems to be navel oranges. Those are always available. I think they are flavorless, dry oranges. Are they pregnant? I hate the whole orange in orange crap.
I’d have to agree with you about navel oranges; dry and the least tasty of all the varieties, and unfortunately the most widely available. At least here in the desert.

I love the little seedless mandarins that are sometimes labeled with cutesy names, like “clementines”or, well, “cuties” in Japan they are mikan, and when I first discovered them, I ate so many that my skin and the whites of my eyes turned yellow. I thought I had jaundice! The doctor was amused when he found out the cause. I’ve never thought to juice them, though. For one thing, they’re so damned small!

I'm sure they add a base, like baking soda.
The oj I madefrom frozen concentrate the other day was indeed quite acidic. Also sour. So I added 1 tbsp sugar (I know, I know) and 1/4 tsp of baking soda. The taste and acidity were both greatly improved.

Now, though, I’m afraid to use the oj in my whole wheat bread ( a lttle oj softens the tannic taste, i find), because I’m afraid the baking soda might compromise the dough’s chemistry.

GG has a point. Adding baking soda. Chemistry 101. Will that alter the taste? Probably, to a slight degree. I haven't noticed any drop off in taste buying low acid OJ. I buy it because OJ's acidity reacts to some grains I eat and causes a small volcano in my stomach. I want both tho. :LOL:

Last edited:
We don't drink juices at all. I buy the frozen concentrate once or twice a year to use in making orange chicken or orange beef. I use it undiluted, it is sour and sweet, really delicious in a sauce. We eat whole fruits.
Lucky you. The frozen concentrated OJ is no longer available in UK and the Jane Grigson recipe I used to use isn't the same made with ordinary OJ

Lucky you. The frozen concentrated OJ is no longer available in UK and the Jane Grigson recipe I used to use isn't the same made with ordinary OJ

That's such a shame you can't get the frozen concentrate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom