Opened fruit punch - ok to drink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbb87

Cook
My grandparents bought a bunch of Hawaiian Punch for the little family gathering they had. They bought a little too much and have some opened containers of it they gave to me. I noticed on the containers that it says to refrigerate it after opening it. My grandparents didn't do this and instead put them in the pantry. They were opened a month ago, are they still ok to drink or should they be thrown out? It's just that there's so much there that I'd hate to waste it (about 3-4 gallons worth) but I'd hate to drink it and get sick.

I have no idea what the rules are on this kind of stuff.

As they say ... when in doubt - toss it out!

After opening - there are a couple of potential "nasties" that can grow in it, especially after sitting around on a shelf for a month.

I would think it would not be good to drink. The reason behing my theory is that when you opened it yet let air into the container and kept it there when you closed it. Air that contained bacteria and that could have reproduced in the time of a month. Also 40-140 degrees is the danger zone where bacteria grows which is the temperature it was stored. Me personally I wouldn't keep it.

Hmmm, you are questioning it and that is good enough form me. I don't like leftovers at the best of times but a month is too long, even if it is a drink.

It's on sale $1.77 per gallon. What flavors did you have? It must not be that great if you didn't drink it. At that price there is no sugar in it!

Convince me that you threw it away and I'll give you a recipe for koolaid. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom