Penzeys hot chocolate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I placed my Penzeys order and forgot to order the hot chocolate I wanted to try. It's getting to be that time of year here in Frostbite Falls and I'd really like some. Has anyone tried Penzeys? Or, possibly do you have a good alternative?

Cadbury Drinking Chocolate is soooo good! It's imported (ie real Cadbury, not the Hershey's knock off) and sort of hard to find, at least around here. I stock up when we pass a Wegman's grocery store.

For a change I sometimes enjoy Ovaltine malted chocolate--it's a flash back to my childhood!

am I the only one who hasn't heard of Penzey's?
I need to check them out, since so many of you guys talk about the company...

jkath, I had never heard of them either until I joined this board. Everyone here who orders from this company seems to have RAVE reviews.

I was recently introduced here, as well. They're great spices, fantastic customer service and downright wonderful prices...except on vanilla and you can't hold that against them.

My first penzys order was a HUGE success. I will never again buy spices from the supermarket.

I am very curious about their hot chocolate too. I saw that in their catalog I just got the other day. I might just have to place another order soon and give it a shot.

Otter, if Penzey's has Mexican Chocolate (comes in a big bar) you should try it. Break some off or grate it, put it in a saucepan with some milk and heat it up almost to boiling so that the chocolate melts. Its very different and very delicious. I like cinnamon dashed in the cup too.

Deb, Penzeys doesn't seem to be too heavy into chocolate - all they have is regular hot chocolate mix, mint hot chocolate mix, natural cocoa powder and Dutch process cocoa powder, unless I'm missing something. I can't believe I left the hot chocolate off the order - that was one of the main reasons I placed the order in the first place!

I was rumbling around in my cupboard and I have some Toll House baking cocoa. They have a couple of recipes on the package for making hot chocolate, so I'll probably try that route first since I already have it on hand.

I like to make my own large batch of dry hot coco mix at the begining of the winter. I put some in bottles and give it out as gifts then the rest is left for me. Here is the recipe if any of you are interested in trying it.

1 pound Nestles Quick
1/2 pound powdered sugar
6 oz. non dairy creamer
1 8oz. box non fat dry milk

Mix ingredients together and store in an air tight container.

To serve, add 4-5 T. per 1 cup hot water. Top with mini marshmallows if desired.

PA Baker said:
Cadbury Drinking Chocolate is soooo good! It's imported (ie real Cadbury, not the Hershey's knock off) and sort of hard to find, at least around here. I stock up when we pass a Wegman's grocery store.

For a change I sometimes enjoy Ovaltine malted chocolate--it's a flash back to my childhood!

If you think that Cadbury drinking chocolate is good then I really don't wanna even imagine wht the Hershy stuff is like! I have tried plenty of the cadbury stuff ( since I am British ) :)

I don't know if you can get it over there but try and find some "Spanish hot chocolate" Valor is a good make if you can find it :)

Spanish hot chocolate is REALLY chocolate flavoured and it's so thick you can stand your spoon in it! My advice is to try and find it if you can. You will love it :)

leaf storm, you don't like the Cadbury? I've always wondered how it's considered in England, if it's an average, mass-market brand like our Hershey's or not.

Yeah, I do like chocolate and I do like Cadbury. :) It's mass market but it's pretty good. We have better brands though. Try to get some "Galaxy chocolate! Even better get Lindt, if you can. Lindt comes from Switzerland and is VERY VERY VERY good. If you by the dark version it's 75% cacoa!

Cadbury is nice ( for sure better than American chocolate which on the whole is not very good. SORRY :oops: )

I would say for hot chocolate Britain isnt very good ( but then im really picky )

Really, if you can find some Spanish hot chocoalte, GO FOR IT! Trust me, im a chocoholic :D Like I said, its VERY high in chocolate flavour and so thick you can stand your spoon in it. Now THAT'S what I call hot chocolate :D Although, even I can't get it and have to pick it up when I go Spain or get Spanish friends to send me some packets :) But if you search around you maybe able to find it. Look for "Valor" and maybe somebody sells it there? :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom