"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I use Yorkshire Tea teabags. Lovely stuff.
We get Yorkshire Tea here too GQ, it is very nice

Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #32
Master Chef

Harney & Sons has an excellent time-and-temp chart for brewing different teas. You can find it here: Harney & Sons Fine Teas - Master Tea Blenders

They have excellent teas and offer a number of them in small sample packets. I think you can order no more than 4 samples in an order. If you either "friend" them on Facebook or sign up for emails you'll find out when they offer specials. Quite often the provide free shipping if your order is $25 or more.

I want to add that John Harney, the founder of the company (and father to Michael, who wrote the brewing instructions) is a perfect dear. I had a serendipitous moment while driving back to MA from OH, taking surface roads instead of interstate ones the second day of my drive. There was a little sign at the road that said "Tea Shoppe" and pointed down a driveway. John was explaining teas and brewing to a group of people in a seminar and invited me to join in. When they headed out to drive to the processing plant he asked if I had a car (um, yeah!) and told me to follow the group. I got to see everything! It was such a fun side trip, and a perfect example of how you just have to slow down and smell the...tea!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

I've read your comments on brewing the tea - I totally agree with you: the brewing temperature is of the key importance! I like tea in general, but especially I'm a great green tea lover - I like to try new types of tea - both Chinese and Japanese ones.

I made a collection of different types of green tea (like Sencha, Genmaicha or Marcha) supported by some info about brewing and history of green tea.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I also love Twinnings English Breakfast
Old 07-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #35
Head Chef

My goodness! What interesting posts - especially thank you, Janet H., for the video - it was lovely, and Cooking Goddess, you lucky duck getting practically a personal visit with a real tea man. Nice site for Harney.

I've tried my teas now -- the Oolong makes up a nice, light yellow with mild flavor, and the Pu-Erh surprised me by making a dark brew. I had one cup with orange blossom honey and one cup plain. Both so nice.

I found it handy to put the water on to boil, then, in the microwave, heat the "pot-warming" water. The timing works out well.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I use Yorkshire Tea teabags. Lovely stuff.
My favorite as well. Do you prefer the gold or red label type?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

As much as I love my Brown Betty teapot, it makes eight regular size tea cups of tea. I prefer a mug for my coffee or tea. But I can only drink one mugful at a time. That leaves the rest sitting in the leaves to get just too strong. Now if I could find three others who will drink their tea out of a mug, then I would be all set. So unfortunately I have to settle for tea bags. I do have an oversized mug that holds a half pot of 12 cup coffee. I could pour the loose made tea into that and just reheat by zapping it cup by cup. The more I try to think this through, the more my mind gets comboblicated. I will just stick with the tea bags.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Extra tea is poured into a pitcher and iced for later.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Extra tea is poured into a pitcher and iced for later.
In spite of having lived in the southern part of Texas, I was never able to develop the taste for sweet iced tea. And that seemed to be the only way they knew to serve it. And when I would order only plain black tea, I got some really strange looks and questions. So I quit asking for it. I prefer my tea hot with just one scant spoon of sugar. I still get strange looks and comments. In these here parts most folks use milk and sugar. I used to drink it that way all the time with my mother. And I loved to dunk buttered stale Italian bread in it. Then when I was twelve, my aunt introduce me to drinking it black. Never went back.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Didn't say you had to sweeten it...