"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have this teapot from Ikea:

It works great for loose tea or tea bags.
I was given a similar one but the tea never tasted right so it went to the charity shop. Tea doesn't tase right in glass cups either.

And no, I can't see any reason for this either!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
My favorite as well. Do you prefer the gold or red label type?
Here we have red for soft water and green for hard water - it depends where you are.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Has anyone ever heard of tea getting buggy? I bought some loose leaf tea from a local tea shop and the basket I kept it in got buggy. I couldn't figure out if it was from the tea or not. I got rid of it just in case.

I restocked with Taylor and Harrogate brand that I found in Wholefoods. My favorite is Assam.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Has anyone ever heard of tea getting buggy? I bought some loose leaf tea from a local tea shop and the basket I kept it in got buggy. I couldn't figure out if it was from the tea or not. I got rid of it just in case.

I restocked with Taylor and Harrogate brand that I found in Wholefoods. My favorite is Assam.
Buggy?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #55
Sous Chef

Yes, the basket I kept the packet of tea's in got little black bugs. There was nothing else in there that would account for the critters. I think the tea shop bought their tea in bulk and then packaged them in smaller paper packets. Perhaps something happened to their stock?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yes, the basket I kept the packet of tea's in got little black bugs. There was nothing else in there that would account for the critters. I think the tea shop bought their tea in bulk and then packaged them in smaller paper packets. Perhaps something happened to their stock?
Eeuw! Possibly. Can you take it back to the shop? They ought to know if they don't already and if they do know then environmental health department at your local authority need to know. (Or whoever deals with public health and food hygiene issues in your town)
Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #57
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Eeuw! Possibly. Can you take it back to the shop?
No, I pretty much did the heebie-jeebie dance to the trash bin and dumped it. This place is a tenant of the office building management company that I work for. Not sure how to say "Oh, by the way , your tea had BUGS!" I'm still honestly not sure, I've never heard of tea getting buggy before. Don't want to cast aspertions.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
No, I pretty much did the heebie-jeebie dance to the trash bin and dumped it. This place is a tenant of the office building management company that I work for. Not sure how to say "Oh, by the way , your tea had BUGS!" I'm still honestly not sure, I've never heard of tea getting buggy before. Don't want to cast aspertions.
Hmm. Never a good idea to complain when you've got rid of the evidence. Better to shop elsewhere in future
Old 09-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #59
Head Chef

Teabags . Yorkshire tea .
Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Cold tea is a very old treatment for burns but I doubt many people know that these days. Cold (wet) tea bags make soothing eye compresses too. if you are feeling really frazzled and the bags under your eyes could hold a week's shopping, put the tea bags in the 'fridge for a few minutes first then lie down with your tea compresses on your closed eyes and some soothing music playing for half an hour.
Salt water is even better for burns. Until WWII, tea was what they used. But, tea can cause scarring. They noticed that service men who went down in the ocean with bad burns healed faster and with less scarring, so they started using salt water immersion.

Camomile tea is even better for sore eyes. They use (or at least did in the '70s) it in Danish hospitals along with antibiotics, if there is infection.