"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #11
Head Chef

Thanks, PA -

I picked up some Torani raspberry on my way home. I'll make my raspberry sweet sun tea tomorrow. I thought that sounded like an easier solution - - but will keep J's suggestion in mind, too (just in case I don't get the result I'm looking for with the syrup). I just wasn't aware that there was a flavored syrup or what I should look for.
Thanks again

Old 07-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #12
Head Chef

Follow up

Well - - I tried the 'Torani' brand syrup to sweeten and flavor my tea. It was pretty good but I found that, in order to get the flavor I wanted, I practically had to double the amount of syrup recommended mixing instructions. That means - - for a 16oz glass of tea I needed to bump it to 280 calories (ouch) .

For the same amount of tea, I find that I can usually get by with about 4 rounded teaspoons of granulated sugar to get an acceptable level of sweetness (about 70-80 calories).

So, NOW, my quest is to find a way to get concentrated raspberry flavor without necessitating the sacrifice of all those calories. I don't want to have to limit myself to one glass of tea per day. I may need to consider having the lower calorie version most of the time and then having my raspberry 'treat' only occasionally.

I'm thinking of getting the frozen berries and reducing them to intensify the flavor (kind of making my own syrup I guess). Not sure how that will work, but seems like it might be worth a shot.

(oh... just thinking) Anybody know if you can get Raspberry Juice Concentrate in the frozen juice section of the supermarket?

Old 07-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I don't know if this would work or not, but you could try a powdered raspberry mix (like kool aid or similar) and add it to your tea. It just may work. Certainly there must be that kind - I know there is raspberry jello - a few pinches of that may work. I have some raspberry liquid made by Luzianne - the tea people.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:41 PM   #14
Head Chef

I guess I'll have to do a little exploring to see what I can come up with... thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #15
Master Chef

Z, I'm using the Torani Sugar-Free Raspberrry syrup. It's made with Splenda. Maybe you can find that in your stores?

You have me hooked on this! Now I want to find some sugar-free peach syrup!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Z, I'm using the Torani Sugar-Free Raspberrry syrup. It's made with Splenda. Maybe you can find that in your stores?

You have me hooked on this! Now I want to find some sugar-free peach syrup!
OHHHHH.... No. I haven't seen that, but will now look for that in my travels, too. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:48 AM   #17
Hospitality Queen

Torani is generally in "Cost Plus" stores - I think you have them out there, don't you?