Real milk!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I noticed at the grocery store this week a new brand of milk. It comes in glass bottles in quarts and half gallons. It seemed expensive until I realized there's a $2 deposit on the bottle that you get when you return the empties. I bought a quart to try. I had forgotten that real milk tastes sooo good!:ohmy:
I will be getting some more. I'll still buy the cheaper stuff in the plastic jugs for cooking but I'll keep some of the "good stuff" when I want a glass of milk with my cookies or pb&js.

I love real milk. I am not a milk drinker at al, but coking with the low pasteurized and non homgenized stuff is amazing!

Oh man, I haven't seen that in at least 10 years and then I bought it at a gas station in the eastern part of the state. I would love to get some just to show dd what milk used to be like. It really brings back memories for me. My folks were dirt poor but had determined that no matter how broke they were there would always be milk in the house for the kids. We had a landlord who had some cows and when times were really tough they would get milk from them. I remember it being pasturized but not homogenized. It was quite a revelation to this city raised kid to see the cream floating on top. I learned many years later that what we call whole milk today used to be called skimmed milk because most of the cream was skimmed off. I hope I can find some.

Last edited:
We have a local company that sells it that way. When I make Ice cream, I make sure to seek out their cream, it puts the commercial brand to shame, the commercial brand has absolutely no flavor. Funny thing is, this local cream is actually the same price as the commercial stuff.

Oh and their eggnog at Christmas is pure heaven.

Tell me there is a little cream floating on the top!!!!
Top of the milk, our milk is delivered in pint glass bottles, but for a real treat I use Jersy Milk that I buy in bottles from the supermarket the cream is a light yellow and makes the best custard base for icecream:)

I'm going to try it warmed up with the next bottle I get. I have fond memories of getting fresh milk from my grandfather. I wasn't allowed to drink it directly from the cow. He had his own pasteurization "plant". It was a little cement block building with 2 machines in it. I would always get a tin mug of milk direct from the machine before he filled the milk cans for the dairy to pick up. It was the best!! Of course he had Guernsey cows which give the highest butterfat milk. We always had wonderful ice cream too!

What is real milk? Some people call whole milk real milk, or do you mean unpasteurized?

What is real milk? Some people call whole milk real milk, or do you mean unpasteurized?
Real milk is from what we had 50yrs ago, betty was a house cow, she was certified disease free and never mixed with other cows, the vet would inseminate her we drank the milk raw.:)

I thought vets only did that with sheep :angel:

Beth, you said real and you said raw milk. Where does unpasteurized fit in with these terms? I know in some states there is a push to ban unpasteurized milk from being sold in stores, that's why I'm asking if it is the same thing as raw or real.

Bolas, say hi to Betty for me ;)

It's unpasteurized and not homogenized. The cream will separate from the milk and float to the top. With "real" milk you can make both butter and/or cheese.

I'm meaning WHOLE milk. Pasteurized is important but homogenized it's not.

Ahhh, thanks. That's all I drink. I haven't seen the bottled brand yet. Not since I was a kid and we had it delivered, half the time sour :(

ETA, after reading Selkie's post, I see it is not homogenized. I drink whole milk, but not un(?)homogenized.

Last edited:
Ahhh, thanks. That's all I drink. I haven't seen the bottled brand yet. Not since I was a kid and we had it delivered, half the time sour :(

ETA, after reading Selkie's post, I see it is not homoginized. I drink whole milk, but not un(?)homoginized.

Sour milk isn't nice for drinking, but sour milk from unpasteurized milk (or even the low pasteurised stuff) can be left on the counter to make clabber. My mother used to make clabber whenever the milk went sour; sprinkle it with sugar; and eat for breakfast. My sister and I just looked at her and went :yuk:
:LOL:

The clabber can be made into quark, sour unpasteurized cream is well, sour cream or is it crème fraiche?

Last edited:

Beth, you said real and you said raw milk. Where does unpasteurized fit in with these terms? I know in some states there is a push to ban unpasteurized milk from being sold in stores, that's why I'm asking if it is the same thing as raw or real.

Raw milk means straight from the udder; not pasteurized, and in the case of cows milk, not homogenized

Bolas, say hi to Betty for me ;)
:LOL:I live in North Wales Pacman not North Carolina, Betty went to the knackers yard in the sky about 44 yrs ago.
Ps we had chickens,ponies geese and goats, non of use liked to drink the goats milk, my mum got Betty because of an outbreak of undulant fever.:)

when i was a kid, i remember an old timer neighbor telling a story about why milk was delivered in glass bottles with aluminum foil or paper caps many years ago.

in cold weather, the milk would expand so in order to keep the bottle from breaking, they would put on the loose paper or foil cap.

if you were a really good kid, your mom would scoop the frozen cream off the top and mix it with sugar for a morning treat.

Back
Top Bottom