Red Tea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
Not redbush tea but red tea. DH brought home some Twinings red tea for me to try, just wndering if anyone else has tried it, and liked it. To me it tastes disconcertingly like kedgeree :ermm:

Is there something I'm missing? I have just tried it black and unsweetened.

Is it rooiboos tea? Thats the only red stuff I know. If it has an unfortunate taste and I still want to drink it my cure all is to put some lemon in it.

no, its different from rooiboos or redbush tea, which I actually quite like: I find it slightly nutty. I tried this red tea again, and Andy is right, it is unfortunate, but I really taste a perfectly balanced kedgeree. Don't get me wrong, I like kedgeree, but not as a tea!

No ingredients but I just checked the packet and its also called Pu-Erh.

Kedgeree is a lovely breakfast meal the main ingredients are rice, smoked mackeral or kippers and hard boiled eggs. I emphasise the indian in mine, and put in cardomon, tumeric and lots of cumin....sometimes I really go Indian and spice it up. Its a great diet supper: like I say, I love it, but not as a tea!

No ingredients but I just checked the packet and its also called Pu-Erh.

I just about fell over when I read this. I'm not sure I'd drink something called PU!!! :rolleyes: :LOL:

I had an unfortunate tea experience recently too. I bought some "Breathe Easy" tea to get rid of some chest congestion. It had peppermint, licorice, pleurisy root and a Chinese herbal prep in it (Ban something). It tasted a bit odd, but I thought tea was a simple way to help my chest. Well it took me about 3 cups of tea to recognize that it gave me a killer tummy ache. (I know, I'm a slow learner!) So now I have an $8 box of tea going to waste in my cupboard. Anyone want it? :rolleyes:

The teas I get here that are red are usually Celetial Seasonings blends that contain rose hips. I think they are delicious--and very pretty. Like Red Zinger.

Right, wikipedia informs me its a sort of aged green tea, sometimes vintage. So I know wht it is and I know I don't like it. I would still be interested to hear if anyone likes it and if they add anything to it, lemon or honey or something to make it a bit nicer...just out of curiosity!

You're kidding me Alix. Well, why am I surprised we can't get the Liptons red rose here either.

You want me to ship you some? I love red zinger.

Alix said:
Did you know you can't get Red Zinger in Canada anymore. Tick me off!

Really! Have you looked at the ingredients on other CS teas to see if it might be the same? I say this because a number of years ago they made a wonderful tea called "Iced Delight". It was so good and refreshing (and had that nice rosy color) and then they stopped making it. However, I did find a very similar one under another name.
OR has Canada, in its emulation of the US, decided to just ban "something" for no good reason!! ;o)

Nope, the company just didn't have enough sales to justify continued shipping to Canada apparently. I have friends going off down to Palm Springs next month and they plan to buy cases and ship it home. LOL. The company won't even send a private shipment to Canada. (My friends have researched this rather exhaustively as they are addicted to the stuff) Weird huh? Darn Celestial Seasonings anyway!

Back
Top Bottom