"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

GI Chef, I am not sure where you are getting your information, but cooking wine is wine, complete with alcohol content, even after it is opened.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I do not know what you mean by "one of those", but if you mean I am someone who hates to see misinformation given that could potentially be dangerous then yes I am "one of those". While you may feel you are trying to help by telling someone that cooking wine is not alcoholic that can be hazardous to their health. What if they are on medication that they can't mix with alcohol? What if they are a recovering alcoholic? I was not trying to call you out on anything. I was just trying to correct your inaccurate information.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
Cook

just to clarify...

janden, when you say "cannot" use wine is it for medical reasons? Or is it more of a 'would not like to use wine b/c I don't like drinking wine that much'? If the latter, the taste you will get from cooking your coq au vin will not be at all like drinking a glass of red wine. As was said before, the dish you want is impossible to make wo/ vino. But ohhhhh, it is so good that if there's a way (any way!) to use the wine I say go for it. NOT cooking wine, which is something best left on the supermarket shelf. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:01 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Maybe he's muslim. Just answer the question.........

http://search.freefind.com/find.html...n=0&query=wine

Substitutes: equal parts grape juice and broth (in stews and sauces) OR wine essence OR coffee (in baked chocolate or nut dishes) OR fruit juice (in baked fruit dishes) OR vinegar (in marinades) OR broth OR verjus (in salad dressings) OR lemon juice (in salad dressings)
Old 11-12-2006, 04:46 AM   #15
Head Chef

I am afraid I agree that coq au vin is impossible to mmake without the wine. The vin is in the title, and while there are any number of delicious dishes you can make they would definitely have to be called caq sans vin, lol. The cooked wine is an intrinsic flavour and the dish cannot be replicated with out it.

Janden68 I am sorry, I think you are tring for the impossible. How about making a different stewed chicken dish, there are many wonderful things you could do!