Red wine substitutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janden68

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a substitute for red wine for one of my chicken recipes.
Does anyone have any ideas? I cannot use wine and I want to make coq co vin

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the site.

It would depend on what it is you are making and also the reason for the substitution. If you post the recipe or tell us what it is that you are making then that will help us give you a good answer.

What GB said! And, welcome!

Are you wanting to sub because you don't want alcohol or sulfites? Or is it because you don't have any on hand?

I don't care for red wine, so I generally just substitute whatever seems appropriate...for a chicken dish, I'd use chicken broth. It won't taste the same, but if you don't like the wine, that's just as well.
A lot of people use red wine in beef stew, but I add a small can of tomato sauce for richness instead.

Cooking wine is not a substitution for wine. Cooking wine IS wine, but with a ton of salt added. Nasty nasty stuff if you ask me.

GI Chef said:
Yea I believe it's nasty too. I just thought janden68 was looking for a non-alcoholic substitution.

Not to beat a dead horse, but it is wine--with alcohol. It is sort of like denatured alcohol--it has had so much salt added to it that it is
undrinkable as wine!! ;o)

Unfortunately, the dish you want to make "Coq au Vin" is chicken cooked in WINE - lol!!!

If you really need to use a wine substitute, I'd be looking for a different recipe if I were you. Nothing you could possibly substitute is going to make Coq au Vin even remotely what it should be.

Now if it's just "red" wine you don't want, there are many recipes available for "white" Coq au Vin" that are equally delicious. But eliminating any & all of the wine completely from a dish with "wine" in the title is virtually impossible.

janden68 said:
I am looking for a substitute for red wine for one of my chicken recipes.
Does anyone have any ideas? I cannot use wine and I want to make coq co vin

You can't make coq au vin without wine. That's like making a peanut butter sandwich without the peanut butter, I'm afraid.

I suggest choosing another recipe.

GI Chef, I am not sure where you are getting your information, but cooking wine is wine, complete with alcohol content, even after it is opened.

I do not know what you mean by "one of those", but if you mean I am someone who hates to see misinformation given that could potentially be dangerous then yes I am "one of those". While you may feel you are trying to help by telling someone that cooking wine is not alcoholic that can be hazardous to their health. What if they are on medication that they can't mix with alcohol? What if they are a recovering alcoholic? I was not trying to call you out on anything. I was just trying to correct your inaccurate information.

just to clarify...

janden, when you say "cannot" use wine is it for medical reasons? Or is it more of a 'would not like to use wine b/c I don't like drinking wine that much'? If the latter, the taste you will get from cooking your coq au vin will not be at all like drinking a glass of red wine. As was said before, the dish you want is impossible to make wo/ vino. But ohhhhh, it is so good that if there's a way (any way!) to use the wine I say go for it. NOT cooking wine, which is something best left on the supermarket shelf. Good luck!

Last edited:
Maybe he's muslim. Just answer the question.........

http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=81296093&pageid=r&mode=ALL&n=0&query=wine

Substitutes: equal parts grape juice and broth (in stews and sauces) OR wine essence OR coffee (in baked chocolate or nut dishes) OR fruit juice (in baked fruit dishes) OR vinegar (in marinades) OR broth OR verjus (in salad dressings) OR lemon juice (in salad dressings)

Last edited:
I am afraid I agree that coq au vin is impossible to mmake without the wine. The vin is in the title, and while there are any number of delicious dishes you can make they would definitely have to be called caq sans vin, lol. The cooked wine is an intrinsic flavour and the dish cannot be replicated with out it.

Janden68 I am sorry, I think you are tring for the impossible. How about making a different stewed chicken dish, there are many wonderful things you could do!

Back
Top Bottom