"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
Head Chef

Yakuta, those sound wonderful, especially the rose sherbet. I wonder if I could find rose syrup? I often juice watermelons, but I've never tried the green mango drink. It's very hot and humid here in the summer, so it might be a real winner. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
Head Chef

I buy rose syrup bottle at my local indian store but if there are no Indian stores in Mexico you can order it online from Ethnic Grocer. I checked and they sell one by Ziyad (Middleeastern brand).

I prefer a brand called Kalverts or Roohafza. You can see if you can get them online and shipped. I highly recommend it.

I sometimes add a tiny bit of this syrup to the watermelon juice I make in place of sugar. The rose and watermelon combination sounds strange but it works so well.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Growing up in India where it's hot all year around and scorching in the summer we loved to cool down with a home made drink. The popular ones that I still go back to are as follows:

Rose Sherbet: Concentrated rose syrup that you add to a glass and then add lots of ice and some water and sip it. Sweet, Aromatic and Refreshing
If milk is added to rose syrup, you will get a drink called Bandung, a popular refreshment in old Singapore. As to the origin, here is the interesting story.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #14
Head Chef

Boufa interesting story and yes in India too we drink rose syrup with milk. There is a drink called falooda that is extremely popular in India.

It is milk that is flavored with rose syrup and it has plump basil seeds added to it. We also add some clear vermicilli type thin noodles to it. It is then topped with some vanilla icecream.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sangria is one of my favorite summertime drinks. If you like your drink to go, here is a refreshing recipe with a different twist - Sangria On A Stick (from RR):

Sangria on a Stick

Liquados are yummy too:

Licuado

Or - Chai Latte:

Recipes
Old 06-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy123
Sangria is one of my favorite summertime drinks. If you like your drink to go, here is a refreshing recipe with a different twist - Sangria On A Stick (from RR):

Sangria on a Stick

Liquados are yummy too:

Licuado

Or - Chai Latte:

Recipes
Amy,
the link to the Licuado is just perfect for me. I have 3 grandchildren I take care of and they love something different than just plain milk..This I think will be just the thing. Thank you. Oh and by the way, welcome to DC.

kadesma
Old 06-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy123

Sangria on a Stick

Liquados are yummy too:

Licuado

Or - Chai Latte:

Recipes
How's about:
Cointreau 1 part (e.g. 4 oz.)
Fundador or E&J VSOP brandy 1 part (e.g. 4 oz.)
Duboeuf Merlot 12-16 parts (e.g. 48-64 oz.)
Can be stored in fridge
Add ice and garnish with slices of apple and or orange and pear just before serving

Above yields 14 - 18 servings of four+ oz. each