"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Rhubarb Syrup

I made some of this for a party I was having on the weekend and it was a big hit.


6-8 cups diced rhubarb
2 cups white sugar

Place in a non reactive pot and put it on low heat. You can add a 1/2 cup of water to get things going if you like. Simmer until rhubarb turns to mush. Allow to cool a bit.

Use cheesecloth or a clean knee high nylon and place the stewed rhubarb inside it. Hang over a mason jar or bowl or whatever works and allow all the syrup to drip out.

Save the stewed rhubarb to use in rhubarb loaf or cake!

To the syrup, add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of lemon juice. This will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Use to make italian sodas - 2 tbsp syrup + 1 cup club soda = yum!

Use in punch - 1/2 cup + 1 cup cranberry juice + 2 liters club soda or ginger ale. Float some orange and lemon slices in there. I froze some blueberries too and tossed them in the bottom.

I'm sure you can think of other uses too, but this was all I had time for this weekend!

__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I made some of this for a party I was having on the weekend and it was a big hit.


6-8 cups diced rhubarb
2 cups white sugar

Place in a non reactive pot and put it on low heat. You can add a 1/2 cup of water to get things going if you like. Simmer until rhubarb turns to mush. Allow to cool a bit.

Use cheesecloth or a clean knee high nylon and place the stewed rhubarb inside it. Hang over a mason jar or bowl or whatever works and allow all the syrup to drip out.

Save the stewed rhubarb to use in rhubarb loaf or cake!

To the syrup, add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of lemon juice. This will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Use to make italian sodas - 2 tbsp syrup + 1 cup club soda = yum!

Use in punch - 1/2 cup + 1 cup cranberry juice + 2 liters club soda or ginger ale. Float some orange and lemon slices in there. I froze some blueberries too and tossed them in the bottom.

I'm sure you can think of other uses too, but this was all I had time for this weekend!
I wonder if this would work as a substitute for grenadine.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I wonder if this would work as a substitute for grenadine.
It would depend on what you want the grenadine for. The traditional drinks, like sunrises, pink ladies, pink squirrels, I would say no.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
It would depend on what you want the grenadine for. The traditional drinks, like sunrises, pink ladies, pink squirrels, I would say no.
Why not? Won't it be red enough? I looked up grenadine and though it is traditionally made with pomegranates, it can also be made with raspberries or other red fruit.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Why not? Won't it be red enough? I looked up grenadine and though it is traditionally made with pomegranates, it can also be made with raspberries or other red fruit.
Yes. Not red enough. Though I would use it! LOVE rhubarb!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
I think that might depend on the type of rhubarb used. I used the traditional green and red stalks but I have a strain of rhubarb called "strawberry rhubarb" that has deep red stalks. I think that would make very nice dark red syrup.

Taxlady, do you have rhubarb to use?

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
I want this for ice cream...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I think that might depend on the type of rhubarb used. I used the traditional green and red stalks but I have a strain of rhubarb called "strawberry rhubarb" that has deep red stalks. I think that would make very nice dark red syrup.

Taxlady, do you have rhubarb to use?

Nope, but if I get an interesting enough recipe I can probably wheedle some from my M-I-L
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.