Rhubarb Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I made some of this for a party I was having on the weekend and it was a big hit.

6-8 cups diced rhubarb
2 cups white sugar

Place in a non reactive pot and put it on low heat. You can add a 1/2 cup of water to get things going if you like. Simmer until rhubarb turns to mush. Allow to cool a bit.

Use cheesecloth or a clean knee high nylon and place the stewed rhubarb inside it. Hang over a mason jar or bowl or whatever works and allow all the syrup to drip out.

Save the stewed rhubarb to use in rhubarb loaf or cake!

To the syrup, add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of lemon juice. This will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Use to make italian sodas - 2 tbsp syrup + 1 cup club soda = yum!

Use in punch - 1/2 cup + 1 cup cranberry juice + 2 liters club soda or ginger ale. Float some orange and lemon slices in there. I froze some blueberries too and tossed them in the bottom.

I'm sure you can think of other uses too, but this was all I had time for this weekend!

I made some of this for a party I was having on the weekend and it was a big hit.

6-8 cups diced rhubarb
2 cups white sugar

Place in a non reactive pot and put it on low heat. You can add a 1/2 cup of water to get things going if you like. Simmer until rhubarb turns to mush. Allow to cool a bit.

Use cheesecloth or a clean knee high nylon and place the stewed rhubarb inside it. Hang over a mason jar or bowl or whatever works and allow all the syrup to drip out.

Save the stewed rhubarb to use in rhubarb loaf or cake!

To the syrup, add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of lemon juice. This will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Use to make italian sodas - 2 tbsp syrup + 1 cup club soda = yum!

Use in punch - 1/2 cup + 1 cup cranberry juice + 2 liters club soda or ginger ale. Float some orange and lemon slices in there. I froze some blueberries too and tossed them in the bottom.

I'm sure you can think of other uses too, but this was all I had time for this weekend!
I wonder if this would work as a substitute for grenadine.

taxlady said:
I wonder if this would work as a substitute for grenadine.

It would depend on what you want the grenadine for. The traditional drinks, like sunrises, pink ladies, pink squirrels, I would say no.

It would depend on what you want the grenadine for. The traditional drinks, like sunrises, pink ladies, pink squirrels, I would say no.
Why not? Won't it be red enough? I looked up grenadine and though it is traditionally made with pomegranates, it can also be made with raspberries or other red fruit.

taxlady said:
Why not? Won't it be red enough? I looked up grenadine and though it is traditionally made with pomegranates, it can also be made with raspberries or other red fruit.

Yes. Not red enough. Though I would use it! LOVE rhubarb!

Last edited:
I think that might depend on the type of rhubarb used. I used the traditional green and red stalks but I have a strain of rhubarb called "strawberry rhubarb" that has deep red stalks. I think that would make very nice dark red syrup.

Taxlady, do you have rhubarb to use?

I think that might depend on the type of rhubarb used. I used the traditional green and red stalks but I have a strain of rhubarb called "strawberry rhubarb" that has deep red stalks. I think that would make very nice dark red syrup.

Taxlady, do you have rhubarb to use?

Nope, but if I get an interesting enough recipe I can probably wheedle some from my M-I-L ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom