"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Head Chef

I was another Frosties fan, but I haven't seen it in years. Now it's A&W.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I stumbled across this recipe. They look delicious.

Root Beer Cookies

Root Beer Cookies | Make and Takes

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I'm having a Sprecher Root Beer right now. It's probably my favorite. I do enjoy A&W on tap too!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
holy ancient thread bump.. . . .

while it's TTT, here is a short list of faves:

My short list of faves:

Weinhard
Capt'n Eli
Sprecher
Saranac

I like the root beer and sarsaparilla has an almost cult like following, and appreciation now. I LOVE a good, well rounded, slightly spicy, yet creamy and easy going root beer.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
holy ancient thread bump.. . . .
No kiddin'...

Ok, I'll play. A&W is my all-time favorite root beer, but ONLY if we can turn back the clock 40 years or so. Back then it was not nearly as acidic and carbonated as it is now, nor did it contain high fructose corn syrup. Plus they served it in those great frosty glass mugs. The mugs were so cold that the foam from the root beer would freeze around the rim of the glass. Those were the days.

Today's A&W is completely lacking compared to the way it used to be.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

oh man, i remember those old frosty mugs, and the foam freezing a little.

i'm not sure if it's just ajersey thing, but i like stewarts root beer, but only from a tap at one of their shops. the bottled stuff is lacking.

the best birch and root beer i've had recently was in amish country in southern pennsylvania. i don't know the brand, but boy was it good!

now i want a root beer float. frosty mug, good root beer, and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. yum!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #17
Executive Chef

never tried root beer until a week or so ago.bought a bottle of franks in tesco.said it was made in sweden,4.5%abv & contained stuff like wintergreen herb,vanilla & licourice.smelt a bit like the liniment i used to rub on me sore bits after playing rugby & tasted a bit like it too(we'd drink anything after a match!).that'd be the wintergreen i suppose.is that how it's meant to taste or isn't franks any good?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
never tried root beer until a week or so ago.bought a bottle of franks in tesco.said it was made in sweden,4.5%abv & contained stuff like wintergreen herb,vanilla & licourice.smelt a bit like the liniment i used to rub on me sore bits after playing rugby & tasted a bit like it too(we'd drink anything after a match!).that'd be the wintergreen i suppose.is that how it's meant to taste or isn't franks any good?
Well, the root beer here in the states has no Abv, is it isn't an abv. . .it is just a "pop"/Soda.

It's a lot like explaining the difference between ginger beer, and ginger ale to folks that don't know. . .just because there is "beer' in the title, it only refers to the brewing, not booze. . .

People get cross when I describe a Dark, and Stormy. . .Ginger Beer is mandatory, but people seem to think it is double booze, but it's not. Ginger beer is to ginger ale, what Root Beer is to. . .well, whatever Root Beer is without any character. . . If that makes any sense. . .
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

that's a different sort of animal, harry.

american root beer is just a type of soda pop, no alcohol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Well, the root beer here in the states has no Abv, is it isn't an abv. . .it is just a "pop"/Soda.

It's a lot like explaining the difference between ginger beer, and ginger ale to folks that don't know. . .just because there is "beer' in the title, it only refers to the brewing, not booze. . .

People get cross when I describe a Dark, and Stormy. . .Ginger Beer is mandatory, but people seem to think it is double booze, but it's not. Ginger beer is to ginger ale, what Root Beer is to. . .well, whatever Root Beer is without any character. . . If that makes any sense. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that's a different sort of animal, harry.

american root beer is just a type of soda pop, no alcohol.
ah hah!! thanks chaps.i'll take a look at soft drinks section next time i'm in tesco.ginger beer/ale is a/are fav's of bro' bolas & mine.we used to make it (or is it grow it?) at home when we were kids.crabbies,which is one of the oldest alcoholic ginger beer brewers over here,have brought out their "reserve" version.....rocket fuel!!
tom,you should try the swedish version....you being a viking and all!!