Root Beer - Your favorite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the best birch and root beer i've had recently was in amish country in southern pennsylvania. i don't know the brand, but boy was it good!

now i want a root beer float. frosty mug, good root beer, and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. yum!

Yep, same here. We used to go to Mechanicsburg, PA (Mrs Hoot was living there before we got together) for Jubilee Day every year. There was a vendor that sold some of the best root beer I have had in many a year.
I hope we will be able to make the journey next year.

oh man, i remember those old frosty mugs, and the foam freezing a little.

i'm not sure if it's just ajersey thing, but i like stewarts root beer, but only from a tap at one of their shops. the bottled stuff is lacking.

the best birch and root beer i've had recently was in amish country in southern pennsylvania. i don't know the brand, but boy was it good!

now i want a root beer float. frosty mug, good root beer, and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. yum!

+1 I also love to get the gallon glass jugs filled with A&W, take 'em home and put them in the fridge until ice-cold.

If you did it just right, you could take a ice-cold frosty mug, and just above freezing root beer, and when adding the root beer to the mug, come up with a yummy slush. Or, put a bottle in the freezer, and if timed perfectly, when the bottle was opened, it would instantly sturn to a sluch that almost had the consistancy of a good sorbet, root beer sorbet:mrgreen:. And yes, there were some fine looking ladies (17 to 18 years of age) serving food and root beer at teh A&W root beer stand.

Man, does that take me back 40 years or so. In reality, those were the good-old days.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: We didn't know we had it so good.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

We have a local brand here in New England. Polar. They went head to head with Coca Cola about using the Polar Bear for their ads. Polar won hands down. Chalk one up for the little guy.

I find that Polar has more intense flavor in their sodas and less carbonation. Unlike Coke, their carbonation is just too strong for me. Polar also makes the house brands for most of the supermarkets in this area. (A little known fact.) Years ago they used to make house deliveries. The glass bottles came six to a deep large wooden box. The delivery man would bring it right into the house for you. The box was heavier than one bottle. Those boxes were built to last. They all looked ages old. I don't ever recall seeing a nice new one with new wood. They had the name deeply carved in the side. Looked like wood burning. I still buy Polar. And probably will continue to do so. :yum:

I also have fond memories of going to A&W for a frosty mug of root beer, or a root beer float. My Dad tells me that we only did that maybe 5 times while growing up, so I must remember each time we went. I can still taste it now. I am still tasting the modern time pop, and I am not sure which I like best, but I know that it is much better in a bottle than a can.

Going to the A & W for frosty mugs was a child hood treat. Sit in your car and girls on roller skates wearing cheerleader uniforms brought your order out and placed it on your rolled down car window. Maybe I'm confusing part of this with some movie. The root beer was indeed colder and frostier in those mugs. That much I remember.

1919 Draft root beer is available in bars here in the midwest, and is sold in kegs at local liquor stores. Great for kids graduation parties. No alcohol. And if the bar has frosty mugs, and you don't drink beer, it's pretty near as good as A& W.

1919 Classic American Draft Root Beer

I also have fond memories of going to A&W for a frosty mug of root beer, or a root beer float. My Dad tells me that we only did that maybe 5 times while growing up, so I must remember each time we went. I can still taste it now. I am still tasting the modern time pop, and I am not sure which I like best, but I know that it is much better in a bottle than a can.

I have never had a beverage that gave the same satisfaction when drinking it from a can, verses a bottle. Take the same bevarage, be it soda, milk, beer, an ice cream shake or malt, lemonaide, or whatever, and pour it from tbe can into a chilled glass container, and it is so much more satisfying, especially if the glass is cold. That's just the way it is with cold drinks, IMHO. And I detest drinking from plastic, but will do it if there isn't a better option.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Any restaurant supply store sells glass double barrel mugs. Wet them, place in freezer and you have gone back to your childhood. Anchor Hocking is the major maker. They even make them in the jade green glass Mason Jar style. They normally sell them by the case. But if they have an open case, they will sell individual amounts. The double barrel is what bar glasses are made of. Ever seen a glass of beer or other drink tip over or fall on a hard surface? The contents spill out, the glass bounces but doesn't break.

When Son #3 was starting out on his own for Paramedic School, he and his roommate bought about 18 bar glasses. Those dang things are still going strong. They refuse to break. I still have one, my daughter has a couple, my son has about four and his roommate has the rest. And those were bought in the early 80's. They supplied all their kitchen needs their.

One year I bought six double barrel fancy glasses. I then got some etching material and placed my daughter's last initial on them and gave her engraved glasses for Christmas. I also made engraved glass toasters to go with them. They are her 'company only' glasses. :)

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
I have never had a beverage that gave the same satisfaction when drinking it from a can, verses a bottle. Take the same bevarage, be it soda, milk, beer, an ice cream shake or malt, lemonaide, or whatever, and pour it from tbe can into a chilled glass container, and it is so much more satisfying, especially if the glass is cold. That's just the way it is with cold drinks, IMHO. And I detest drinking from plastic, but will do it if there isn't a better option.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm right there with you. I always use a "glass glass!". ;)

I have a minimal amount of plastic in my kitchen. I even have some very old WWII glass refrigerator bowls. I am always on the hunt for them. I keep my butter in an old pound glass tub. And when I feel like messing with it, I use my butter bell which holds just one stick. My daughter will send me food in a plastic container. I take the food out immediately, wash it and get it back to her as fast as possible. I HATE plastic. :)

Here in the US, and at my 3 big grocery stores chains, the only bottled root beer I see on the shelves is IBC's brand. It's pretty good. I take it you all buy it in bottles and not cans. I'd like to sample other brands made in bottles, but I just don't see them. Ordering some brand online would cost me, shipping wise.

I'm in the US... So. California...where else might I find bottled root beer to sample?

Jeremiah weed

nope,couldn't find non alcoholic root beer anywhere but someone who heard me asking about it said it tasted like our dandelion & burdoch pop.anyone tried it? does it?
also i saw two jeremiah weed beers which sounded interesting but after my alcoholic root beer experience i thought i'd check first.
the two jw's were sour mash brew & root brew.both 4.5abv.any good?

Harry,
I am familiar with the bourbon liqueur Jeremiah Weed. I used to partake of it on cold winter nights by the campfire. It is 100 proof and will sneak up on you if you ain't careful. The only other drawback, at least in my opinion, it is simply too sweet.
The older I get the less I like sweet alcoholic beverages. Thankfully, I am still able to appreciate a good port, marsala, or sauterne. But these days I am even beginning to find tequila to have a vaguely disagreeable syrupy sweet quality and it doesn't seem to matter the brand or the age of the tequila. I hope I don't lose my taste for bourbon.
I am also beginning to lose my taste for most mixed cocktails. I reckon it's normal. Now..back to the Jeremiah Weed in a can. I have heard of that stuff, and apparently it is made by the same folks that make the liqueur.
I have yet to see around here. I 'spect if it does show up, my son will be unable to resist tryin' it.

Harry,
I am familiar with the bourbon liqueur Jeremiah Weed. I used to partake of it on cold winter nights by the campfire. It is 100 proof and will sneak up on you if you ain't careful. The only other drawback, at least in my opinion, it is simply too sweet.
The older I get the less I like sweet alcoholic beverages. Thankfully, I am still able to appreciate a good port, marsala, or sauterne. But these days I am even beginning to find tequila to have a vaguely disagreeable syrupy sweet quality and it doesn't seem to matter the brand or the age of the tequila. I hope I don't lose my taste for bourbon.
I am also beginning to lose my taste for most mixed cocktails. I reckon it's normal. Now..back to the Jeremiah Weed in a can. I have heard of that stuff, and apparently it is made by the same folks that make the liqueur.
I have yet to see around here. I 'spect if it does show up, my son will be unable to resist tryin' it.
hey hoot! i like me drinks dry too,ermmm,if that makes sense.bone dry chablis,muscadet,manzanilla sherry etc.exceptions to that are otima 10 year old tawny port 'cos it's one of the few ports that is really good chilled,makers mark bourbon which has a slight hint of sweetness imo & penderyn single malt welsh whiskey,some of which is aged in madeira barrels & is the best whiskey in the world imo......but i would say that,being a welshman;)!
as you said hoot,back to jeremiah weed,it's in smallish bottles,looks a bit less than the standard 330ml size over here.quite a lot of ingredients according to the label,including fruit & added alcohol.they are on promo @ 3 for £5 so,what the heck,i think i'll buy a couple of sour mash & a root brew & give it a go.....let you know H

1960s Little Italia, NYC: Dr. Brown´s Root Beer

Buon Giorno,

This is the only Root Beer that I had access to, as a kid spending summers with my paternal Grandmom ... I had paid more attention to her Trattoria, and her concoctions, and had never been much of a soda kid ...

I do love Sparkling Waters and Club Soda however.

Dr. Brown´s Rootbeer, celery soda and cream soda, were the only sodas I liked ...

Thanks for the Good post,
Ciao.
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom