"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #31
Sous Chef

I will join in the old thread. It has to be A&W from the tap.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Root beer: blech

Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

spell check, taxy.

root beer belch.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
spell check, taxy.

root beer belch.
LOL!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
spell check, taxy.

root beer belch.
Okay, it should have been spelled: ptui
Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
Head Chef

Here in the US, and at my 3 big grocery stores chains, the only bottled root beer I see on the shelves is IBC's brand. It's pretty good. I take it you all buy it in bottles and not cans. I'd like to sample other brands made in bottles, but I just don't see them. Ordering some brand online would cost me, shipping wise.

I'm in the US... So. California...where else might I find bottled root beer to sample?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Jeremiah weed

nope,couldn't find non alcoholic root beer anywhere but someone who heard me asking about it said it tasted like our dandelion & burdoch pop.anyone tried it? does it?
also i saw two jeremiah weed beers which sounded interesting but after my alcoholic root beer experience i thought i'd check first.
the two jw's were sour mash brew & root brew.both 4.5abv.any good?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Harry,
I am familiar with the bourbon liqueur Jeremiah Weed. I used to partake of it on cold winter nights by the campfire. It is 100 proof and will sneak up on you if you ain't careful. The only other drawback, at least in my opinion, it is simply too sweet.
The older I get the less I like sweet alcoholic beverages. Thankfully, I am still able to appreciate a good port, marsala, or sauterne. But these days I am even beginning to find tequila to have a vaguely disagreeable syrupy sweet quality and it doesn't seem to matter the brand or the age of the tequila. I hope I don't lose my taste for bourbon.
I am also beginning to lose my taste for most mixed cocktails. I reckon it's normal. Now..back to the Jeremiah Weed in a can. I have heard of that stuff, and apparently it is made by the same folks that make the liqueur.
I have yet to see around here. I 'spect if it does show up, my son will be unable to resist tryin' it.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Harry,
I am familiar with the bourbon liqueur Jeremiah Weed. I used to partake of it on cold winter nights by the campfire. It is 100 proof and will sneak up on you if you ain't careful. The only other drawback, at least in my opinion, it is simply too sweet.
The older I get the less I like sweet alcoholic beverages. Thankfully, I am still able to appreciate a good port, marsala, or sauterne. But these days I am even beginning to find tequila to have a vaguely disagreeable syrupy sweet quality and it doesn't seem to matter the brand or the age of the tequila. I hope I don't lose my taste for bourbon.
I am also beginning to lose my taste for most mixed cocktails. I reckon it's normal. Now..back to the Jeremiah Weed in a can. I have heard of that stuff, and apparently it is made by the same folks that make the liqueur.
I have yet to see around here. I 'spect if it does show up, my son will be unable to resist tryin' it.
hey hoot! i like me drinks dry too,ermmm,if that makes sense.bone dry chablis,muscadet,manzanilla sherry etc.exceptions to that are otima 10 year old tawny port 'cos it's one of the few ports that is really good chilled,makers mark bourbon which has a slight hint of sweetness imo & penderyn single malt welsh whiskey,some of which is aged in madeira barrels & is the best whiskey in the world imo......but i would say that,being a welshman!
as you said hoot,back to jeremiah weed,it's in smallish bottles,looks a bit less than the standard 330ml size over here.quite a lot of ingredients according to the label,including fruit & added alcohol.they are on promo @ 3 for £5 so,what the heck,i think i'll buy a couple of sour mash & a root brew & give it a go.....let you know H
Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #40
Executive Chef

1960s Little Italia, NYC: Dr. Brown“s Root Beer

Buon Giorno,

This is the only Root Beer that I had access to, as a kid spending summers with my paternal Grandmom ... I had paid more attention to her Trattoria, and her concoctions, and had never been much of a soda kid ...

I do love Sparkling Waters and Club Soda however.

Dr. Brown“s Rootbeer, celery soda and cream soda, were the only sodas I liked ...

Thanks for the Good post,
Ciao.
Margi.