Simple Iced Tea.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robt

Senior Cook
I make tea for icing simply by putting 10 tea-bags in a gallon of water for about 1.5 hours, then remove the bags and drink over Ice.

My question is that after a day the tea is no longer clear, it looks a bit foggy like strings of something in there. I've tried to put the pitcher in the fridge and after a couple days it seems 'oily' as I try to drink it.

I hope one of you can educate me on tea as I like to drink the stuff but obviously, I don't understand it.

Try using............

Hi, While I'm not the tea expert, I do like it and have it often. When I worked at a restaurant we had to throw it out every 6 hrs. I think it's recommended that you refridgerate it if your going to keep it out much longer than that, but I agree it's not the same the next day.
I suggest you just make it more often but try using lipton cold brew. I use it and it's great! Very fast and easy and tastes great too. :-p

I only make what we need for a meal since I like it always fresh. But, if it does get cloudy, you can remedy that by pouring in some freshly boiled water.

The drop in temp in the fridge causes some of the dissolved elements in the tea to precipitate out as solids that make the tea cloudy.

I start my day with a big glass of iced tea, and sip on tea all day. I use a tea kettle to brew mine, and use one family size bag of Lipton or Lousianne decaffienated tea + one regular size bag of constant comment. I bring the water to a boil, add the bags, remove from heat, and let brew for a while. Then I pour it into my pitcher and fill pitcher the rest of the way with water. I like mine without sugar, just lots of ice and a squeeze of lemon.
Don't put your tea in the fridge...it gets cloudy and funky tasting (in my opinion). I can drink it for 2 days, but after that, all it's good for is watering ferns. (They like tea.)

Thanks everybody, now I think I do understand. Solution. Make less unless I need fertilizer for the house plants [I actually do give them our left-over coffee and tea any way, its a nice mild nitrogen mix].

I make cold tea very often. I think this could be solved by the quality of tea as well. I often brew loose leaf tea and store it in a pitcher, the tea will not get cloudy for days (in fact I have never seen it get cloudy) and it tastes nice and fresh even a day or two later.

This may also be a result of tea type. I usally on do this with loose leaf green teas. You should really try something like Hojicha, the cold tea is a beautiful red (looks like cranberry juice) and has a very clean crisp taste.

I make mine in the coffee maker. Fill with water, hang tea bags in the empty carafe, and let 'er rip. Take off heating element to a trivet as soon as done dripping through. Be sure to remove the bags promptly, makes a smoother brew.

Here is what we do to ours. 4 family size tea bags, bring a sauce pot of cold water (with a pinch of baking soda)to a boil, remove from heat and add tea bags. We let those steep for a bit, then add to pitcher (which has sugar). Stir to mix sugar and finish out the gallon with cold water.

well here in the south we drink a lot of iced tea and sweet tea so I would suggest the Mr Coffee Iced Tea Maker. You can buy one at Walmart or Target for about $20. It comes with two pitchers and instructions. Its as easy to use as a coffee pot but makes a big pitcher of tea. When you refrigerate tea, it gets cloudy...nothing you can do about that really. I've never known it to be bad though, its usually just the color but nothing wrong with it.

During the summer i make alot of sun tea. 8 bags of lipton tea in a gallon glass jug and let sit in sun a couple hrs and then I add 3/4 cup of sugar and a few squirts of lemon juice and put in the fridge. Keeps for a coupl days and so good.Now that winter is on the way I will probably steam some and then cool. Sun tea is the best tho.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom