Soda/pop recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chocoholic

Senior Cook
Does anyone have a recipe that uses soda? (like 7-up, Coke, Mountain Dew, Sunkist, etc.) We have a lot of pop left over from New Year's Eve...:)

you can freeze them into cubes, then use them in drinks of the same soda later on. that way, the watery ice doesn't dilute the soda.

when i was a kid, i loved it when my mom took leftover flat rootbeer or 7up, and froze them into icicle pops.

A really easy CrockPot recipe my mom always made was Coke Chicken. Equal parts CoCola and ketchup (any brand of either ingredient will do) to cover assorted chicken pieces in the slow cooker. I prefer boneless breasts, but she used cheaper whole chickens cut into the standard pieces. Turn it on and leave it. It's really hard to overcook it. Eventually the meat will just fall apart. You can add other spices as well, but the ketchup and Cocola make a pretty tasty sauce by itself.

Bubbas 2 cents

not really a recipie, but soda works great in marinades....I am a marinading foo' :mrgreen: and sometimes I just use it as the liquid. Many o time I might have all the dry ingredients handy, yet dont have a suitable liquid, coffee works well as does beer, and wine.
I love cooking with beer and wine, sometimes I even put it in the food:cool:
Think of it as one layer of flavor and build on it.

try something like a can of lemon lime with chicken
cola with beef
some red pop (has to be faygo dere) adds nice color and a sweet cotton candy like taste

then just add whatever else u normally would....just try to balance it out a bit ..... it's not rocket surgery

or just save it for your next function
if it's in 2 liter bottles I highly recomend one of thos pumpy whoo haas...they works great!

I like the idea of the coke chicken phinz
but I also like erics idea.... anyone have a recipe for jungle juice?

Last edited:
Ice-cream soda! My kids(and I) love this a lot especially in the summer, though we have been having a few since we too have some soda left from the festive season. You scoop vanilla icecream into a glass and pour over cola or sprite(never tried the orange based sodas like fanta. My favorite is vanilla coca cola poured into the vanilla ice cream.Serve with a straw and a spoon.

Here is something interesting--http://www.therisenrealm.com/uses_of_cocacola.html
I did a search coca cola roast and came up with this, plus a number of other web sites.

Here's a neat one. I got this today in the mail after I bought a vintage Gold Medal Flour recipe box full of old hand-written recipes and magazine clippings of recipes. I found evidence of the magazine clippings dating back as far as 1951.

Anyway, this one was handwritten on a piece of paper, folded up and stuffed in the box. I can't wait to try it, along with a lot of the other recipes in the box. Lots of sweets in there. :D

7-Up Salad

2 boxes lemon Jell-O
2 cups boiling water
2 cups 7-Up
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained (reserve 2 oz. pineapple juice)

Topping

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup whipping cream
cream cheese (frozen)
chopped nuts

Mix Jell-O and boiling water. Let cool and add 7-Up. Fold in marshmallows and pineapple. Refrigerate until set.

Combine butter, flour, egg, sugar and pineapple juice. Cook until mixture thickens. Let set until cold. Fold in whipping cream (use Dream Whip). Spread the cold topping over the jello. Grate cream cheese over this and sprinkle with nuts.

Cream cheese can be easily grated if frozen first.

bubba_sybo said:
not really a recipie, but soda works great in marinades....I am a marinading foo' :mrgreen: and sometimes I just use it as the liquid. Many o time I might have all the dry ingredients handy, yet dont have a suitable liquid, coffee works well as does beer, and wine.
I love cooking with beer and wine, sometimes I even put it in the food:cool:
Think of it as one layer of flavor and build on it.
try something like a can of lemon lime with chicken
cola with beefsome red pop (has to be faygo dere) adds nice color and a sweet cotton candy like taste then just add whatever else u normally would....just try to balance it out a bit ..... it's not rocket surgery or just save it for your next function
if it's in 2 liter bottles I highly recomend one of thos pumpy whoo haas...they works great!
I like the idea of the coke chicken phinz
but I also like erics idea.... anyone have a recipe for jungle juice?

Hi Bubba Sybo, I don't you or recognize your name even, hum, that's odd huh.:huh:
Anyway, I have a 6 pack of blueberry soda that none of us will drink after having one. What can I do with it regarding using it to douse on what kind of meat? Anything? Wonder if I can do that = parts ketchup and "that" on the chicken that is mentioned aforehand? what is faygo dere? sorry, but I have no idea and what's chicken phinz?:ohmy:

purrfectlydevine said:
I have a waffle mix that calls for seltzer. Maybe your favorite soda could be used instead.

Another interesting application of soda is quickbreads. You can omit baking powder in most qjickbread recipes (pancakes, muffins, spice or bannana nut bread, etc.). Some interesting uses would be to use orange soda to make orange muffins, pineapple soda could be used along with chunks of cooked pineapple in pancakes or muffins, etc.

Also, lemon/lime soda's work wonderfully with chicken dishes. Orange works well with pork. Great barbecue sauce can be had from root beer used as the base.

Use your imagination. Orange chicken is easy when you use orange soda in place of orange juice and orange peel.

Think of sodas as the flavor of the citrus rinds, but sweetened. Their flavors come from the oils found in the rind rather than from the fruit juice.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom