Hi I have recently changed from cow's milk to soya milk and am hoping experienced users of soya milk can help me.
The type I buy is long life unsweetened soya (from Tesco).
I live alone and have become accustomed to the fridge life of cow's milk. After it's about 5 days old, I start sniffing it before use to find out if it has gone off.
I am finding that once I open the soya milk and put it in the fridge, it never gets that sour smell and the only way I can find out if it has gone off is to put it in my tea. Then it curdles and I have to throw away the tea AND the milk, wasting tea bags.
My questions are:
- how long does soya milk last once it has been opened and put in the fridge?
- is there a way of telling if soya milk has gone off without putting it in my tea or tasting it?
- does it freeze well (I am thinking to split the litre into quarters and freeze them, taking one out every other day).
- if I want to take 100ml on a journey with me, to use in tea later, does it last about as long as cow milk does out of the fridge, or longer or shorter?
- if it HAS gone off, and I do not notice, because it does not smell, will it make me ill like cow milk does?