Starbucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMSeccia

Sous Chef
I am interested in making a knockoff of Starbucks Frappuccino for my teenage girls. They won't eat breakfast, but (go figure) will grab a bottle out of the frig and drink at least part of a Starbucks. Since they're made with skim milk and not cream, albeit too much sugar, I am resigned that the protein and calcium is still better than an empty stomach. But at $5 or more per 4-pack, I need to concoct my own version to keep on hand.

I always have fresh roasted beans and use a French Press for my own coffee, although I do have a "brew 'n go" I could employ to minimize the "body" in this mixed version. I am wondering if anybody has tried this ... I'm stumped on the ratio of coffee to milk to fill a 2-quart pitcher so it doesn't have to be made daily. If it's not ready, they won't bother!

I did search a couple of iced coffee threads and found one with sweetened condensed milk, but we want to add a bit of Starbucks caramel flavoring, which is plenty sweet without the condensed milk.

I'd love to hear your suggestions ...

I'd love to hear people's takes on these. A low sugar lower fat drink that can be mixed with different flavours would be great!

For anybody interested, this is what we came up with. Thanks to Ladycook for her recipe suggestion.

What I ended up doing was grinding 4 standard coffee measures of beans (3 decaf/1 regular --- ran out of decaf). The girls don't need the caffiene, LOL. Once ground, I put into my 8-cup press to brew, decanted and set aside to cool. I used 3.5 oz of Starbucks caramel syrup, 16 oz whole milk, 16 oz 1% milk, and 2 cups ice. Once the coffee cooled, I added it to the milk and caramel in my quick-stir pitcher.

How did I come up with the syrup ratio? I asked how much they used at SB and the barista kindly wrote down that each pump = 0.25 oz, and a 16 oz grande gets 4 pumps. I could have used 4 full oz of syrup, but after playing a bit, this was what tasted good to us.

Daughter #1 gave a big thumbs up and told me not to tell her friends! It is darned good. I highly recommend using at least some milk with fat content so you get the body and "mouthfeel" you want without using a thickener like gelatin or pectin.

Try it and let me know what you think.

For anybody interested, this is what we came up with. Thanks to Ladycook for her recipe suggestion.

What I ended up doing was grinding 4 standard coffee measures of beans (3 decaf/1 regular --- ran out of decaf). The girls don't need the caffiene, LOL. Once ground, I put into my 8-cup press to brew, decanted and set aside to cool. I used 3.5 oz of Starbucks caramel syrup, 16 oz whole milk, 16 oz 1% milk, and 2 cups ice. Once the coffee cooled, I added it to the milk and caramel in my quick-stir pitcher.

How did I come up with the syrup ratio? I asked how much they used at SB and the barista kindly wrote down that each pump = 0.25 oz, and a 16 oz grande gets 4 pumps. I could have used 4 full oz of syrup, but after playing a bit, this was what tasted good to us.

Daughter #1 gave a big thumbs up and told me not to tell her friends! It is darned good. I highly recommend using at least some milk with fat content so you get the body and "mouthfeel" you want without using a thickener like gelatin or pectin.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Glad you worked it out ;) I haven't tried any recipes yet but will soon.

Hi guys! I own an espresso bar, and your ideas are right on target! I'll also suggest that if you want to really zap the sugar entirely, you can get sugar free syrups in a million flavors. If you live near a grocery store retail (I think I cannot give out store names - right? bummer!) you can get the same stuff we get for our espresso bar. Torani and Monin and DaVinci are real good syrups. Now, they are fake sweetners and really do not taste as good - I personally mix them half and half with real sweetner syrups for my own personal drinks. At least I'm reducing my sugar. And we always use whole milk for our drinks unless customers ask for something else. Whole milk is 3.25% fat, and I can think of a lot of things we eat that are a lot worse! Nothing is as good as a latte made with whole milk. Don't drink three of them a day, and you'll be fine! ha ha Finally, a friend in Germany tells me his mom makes iced coffee in the summer by blender mixing vanilla ice cream and cold coffee left over from breakfast (grimmace grimmace...I don't do old coffee...) Sounds delicious!

Hi guys! I own an espresso bar, and your ideas are right on target! I'll also suggest that if you want to really zap the sugar entirely, you can get sugar free syrups in a million flavors. If you live near a grocery store retail (I think I cannot give out store names - right? bummer!) you can get the same stuff we get for our espresso bar. Torani and Monin and DaVinci are real good syrups. Now, they are fake sweetners and really do not taste as good - I personally mix them half and half with real sweetner syrups for my own personal drinks. At least I'm reducing my sugar. And we always use whole milk for our drinks unless customers ask for something else. Whole milk is 3.25% fat, and I can think of a lot of things we eat that are a lot worse! Nothing is as good as a latte made with whole milk. Don't drink three of them a day, and you'll be fine! ha ha Finally, a friend in Germany tells me his mom makes iced coffee in the summer by blender mixing vanilla ice cream and cold coffee left over from breakfast (grimmace grimmace...I don't do old coffee...) Sounds delicious!

I enjoy Monin syrups , have to order that online. Not much of any other brands in the stores near me.

Back
Top Bottom