"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Oh I completely understand about making it as strong or weak as you like. The quetion I have is if you like it a certain strength then why would the recommend you make it that strong +1 when using a pot. You would think if you like it a certain strength at just one cup then you would want to keep the same strength in a pot, not increase it.
GB, if you make a pot with the extra measure "for the pot", does it taste stronger than a single brewed cup or does it taste the same?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

It tastes stronger to me.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

That confirms my suspicion. The 'one for the pot' rule does not apply East of the Mississippi and North of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Old 11-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Executive Chef

a tea cup is about 5oz. Making a pot, one is apt to think and thus measure for an 8oz cup. Thus add 1 extra spoonful and make up the difference. Such at least is the wisdom of a Scottish chef I know.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

That is the closest I have heard to a reasonable explanation. Thanks Robo. The thing is that there are all different size pots so while one extra might work for one pot it might still not even make a difference in a larger pot.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Those who water their tea with milk are more apt to make it stronger than those who use lemon.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I use milk in my black tea, shaken, not stirred, but I take my green tea straight!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Wow! I know the answer to a "cooking" question! Well, an answer.........

Been a while since I made a pot of tea with loose leaf tea, but................"one for the pot" is because you don't want to drain the teapot completely for the last cuppa, so as well as extra tea you add.........extra water! - so you intentionally make and then waste one cuppa cha (no matter the size of the teapot).

Why? So that any impurities / tea dust within the tea leaves settles to the bottom of the pot and are not then decanted into the strainer - being smaller than tea leaves would otherwise then end up in the cup. Plus that last cup will not be 50% leaves when coming out of the spout. The rounded shape at the bottom of a teapot acts as a "sump" for both tea and impurties........plus a tea strainer full of tea leaves makes getting the last of the tea into the teacup slower / a PITA.

Historically probably more important due to both less consistent and intentionally varying tea qualities, coupled with strainers pre the nowadays more usual fine plastic mesh being not so good at both straining out debris and also the tea leaves.

If you don't put in "one for the pot" its the same as having a teabag cuppa, but topped up with dust from the teabag box - I don't think anyone ever puts that in

Why waste 1 whole cup of tea? because it's easy to measure!.........plus it appeases the tea gods .....that's why squeezing too many last top ups from the pot has the tea tasting a bit funny - the tea gods don't like pilfering

PS. I know me first post should be an intro - but I got all excited to know a cooking answer . Intro to follow
Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_1966 View Post
Wow! I know the answer to a "cooking" question! Well, an answer.........

Been a while since I made a pot of tea with loose leaf tea, but................"one for the pot" is because you don't want to drain the teapot completely for the last cuppa, so as well as extra tea you add.........extra water! - so you intentionally make and then waste one cuppa cha (no matter the size of the teapot).

Why? So that any impurities / tea dust within the tea leaves settles to the bottom of the pot and are not then decanted into the strainer - being smaller than tea leaves would otherwise then end up in the cup. Plus that last cup will not be 50% leaves when coming out of the spout. The rounded shape at the bottom of a teapot acts as a "sump" for both tea and impurties........plus a tea strainer full of tea leaves makes getting the last of the tea into the teacup slower / a PITA.

Historically probably more important due to both less consistent and intentionally varying tea qualities, coupled with strainers pre the nowadays more usual fine plastic mesh being not so good at both straining out debris and also the tea leaves.

If you don't put in "one for the pot" its the same as having a teabag cuppa, but topped up with dust from the teabag box - I don't think anyone ever puts that in

Why waste 1 whole cup of tea? because it's easy to measure!.........plus it appeases the tea gods .....that's why squeezing too many last top ups from the pot has the tea tasting a bit funny - the tea gods don't like pilfering

PS. I know me first post should be an intro - but I got all excited to know a cooking answer . Intro to follow

Great explanation, David! Thanks and welcome aboard!