"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I like my Cuisinart brewer, too, but there are several good brands. I like Peet's, but Starbucks is good, too, and I prefer the darker roasts. I use about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of grounds for a 12-cup pot. The pot and the filter gadget go in the dishwasher.

One plus for spending the extra money on a high-end coffee is that you can let your guests know that -- "Starbucks' Proudly Served Here" brings a lot of good will, but bad coffee will leave a lasting impression of the place.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:31 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy

One plus for spending the extra money on a high-end coffee is that you can let your guests know that -- "Starbucks' Proudly Served Here" brings a lot of good will, but bad coffee will leave a lasting impression of the place.
That would be enough reason for me to NOT go there. I love good coffee. I can not stand Starbucks. My friends and I have noticed that for a large majority of people who like Starbucks (not all mind you) they are the people who put all sorts of things in their coffee. People who drink black coffee generally do not care for Startbucks. Again I know this is not a 100% rule, but it has been our observation.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #23
Executive Chef

In some respects I am a low tech person. When it comes to coffee, I have a non-electric drip maker. It actually is a 1940's all ceramic drip maker. Simple to use, put the high quality grounds in a coffee filter and put that in the dripper, set dripper on top of the pot, heat fresh water to 185 degrees F, pour through dripper. If it needs a bit of heat, I zap it in the microwave, although the insulated holder sounded ideal. My electricity goes off frequently and I can make coffee without electricity with my method. Years ago I had a non-electric Melitta coffee maker, my current set up is similar to the old Melitta. I can't believe what is on the market for high priced coffee makers these days, not my style.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I only use a cafetiere when making coffee at home. Lots of restaurants bring cafetiere to the table when ordering coffee. I've also stayed in hotels where it has been served in a cafetiere, especially if my husband decides to have tea at breakfast... It's the most economical way to brew coffee - and tastes the best, so long as the ground coffee is a good flavour.

Don't know where your rude guest originated.... but I wonder if that was the problem? ie - he just wasn't used to the coffee you were using, eg Colombian or Kenyan or Jamaican Blue Mountain.... Or maybe he was just an ignorant pig?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #25
Executive Chef

cafetiere - I don't know what this is. Would someone explain, please.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #26
Executive Chef

It's a French style pot. You put in the filter grade coffee - add boiling water and then plunge the plunger thingy (note the technical details here!) down onto the grounds. Then pour when ready.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #27
Executive Chef

so, the same as a french press?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Yes, a French press, as the OP showed in her original post.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:06 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
That would be enough reason for me to NOT go there. I love good coffee. I can not stand Starbucks. My friends and I have noticed that for a large majority of people who like Starbucks (not all mind you) they are the people who put all sorts of things in their coffee. People who drink black coffee generally do not care for Starbucks. Again I know this is not a 100% rule, but it has been our observation.
I agree with you about the god-awful milkshakes posing as "coffee" at Starbucks, but the same is true at all of the similar outlets these days. Bashing Starbucks is now very trendy, but their actual coffees (i.e., the beans they sell) are good, although not the very best available. That's not just my opinion -- check www.coffeereview.com.

In any case, advertising "Starbucks Served Here" is a very long step up from leaving a can of Maxwell House on the counter, and I doubt it would send many customers running. But the best advertising would be to serve great coffee, regardless of the brand.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:08 PM   #30
Sous Chef

I still have a Chemex Coffee Maker. Makes great coffee, but it gets cold fast.