"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Politeness costs nothing. As for your comments re France and Italy. Have you visited EITHER place?
I knew I would pay for that, but I'm not very politically correct, in fact I'm often quite stupid.

So now I must apologize Will you forgive me urmaniac13 and Ishbel ?

Yes GB, but first I must make amends. I have hurt the sensibilities of others for which I am sorry. Besides, this thread has long since been exhausted I would hope.
*pours another cup of Maxwell House and adds hazelnut cream and Splenda*
Please don't be mad at me cause if you're mad at me now you will hate me later, lol

All the best,
Robert

Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Sorry to come into this so late. Jen I'm sure Mr.Koffee more than likely had never seen a French Press coffee maker. We used to have one on the boat that we loved, it was an insulated press and kept the coffee hot for a long time.

The grounds might have been too finely ground - French Press needs a coarser grind. A burr grinder will make all the difference in the world, we were surprised at how much better the coffee tastes when ground in a burr grinder. We wemt through several before we found one that we absolutely love, it's manufactured by Solis.

Bob and I are coffee idiots. GB we agree, Starbucks coffee tastes burnt. We got so tired of trying to find decent beans that we got a roaster and started buying green beans and roasting them to our taste. Some coffees taste better at a lighter roast, some taste better at a darker roast. It has been a wonderful experience. Papua New Guinea is wonderful coffee. Lately we've been hooked on a coffee from Zambia that is everything coffee should be.

A side benefit of this is that we seldom pay more that $5.00 a pound for green beans. Although I did order some beans this time that were 15.60 a pound and there was a two pound limit.

We donated our Cuisinart coffee maker to the office. It just does not get the water hot enough to make a good cup of coffee. We reverted to our Chemex, and we bought an insulated carafe to hold the coffee - of course we don't make a full 12 cup pot, just what we'll drink in a short period of time.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Mean people suck.. ...

( and... lol... I love starbucks, I have too... I live in Seattle. It's the LAW)
Old 08-15-2006, 11:34 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Well I'll just weigh in with another thought.
When I was young, I swore by Maxwell House.
THEN I discovered Gold Blend.
THEN I discovered real Colombian Coffee...mmmm
THEN I went to Italy and to Greece and tasted two cups of coffee which will stick in my mind until the day I die...
THEN I married a Venezuelan and the coffee here is way, way, way superior to..., well, Maxwell House.Or Starbucks. Or Colombian. Or Italian.

That's it. That's the definitive answer!

( Just a minute. Many of the coffee companies here are Italian. Whoops...)
Old 08-16-2006, 02:13 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, more evidence that no matter where italians go, they bring a passion and expertise to their food and drink that betters us all.

i am not a coffee drinker, but dw is. she must drink 8 or 10 cups a day. even tho we can get quality coffee from anywhere in the world, she prefers dunkin donuts blend. i've bought her everything from blue mountain, to kenyan aa, to kona and beyond. but she still likes ol' drunken donuts.

anyone ever try kopi luwak? a coffee from indonesia, it is "processed" by small marsupials that do not actually digest the beans. enzymes in their stomachs aid in slight fermentation of the beans, which in turns flavors them.

as far as the rude guest, well, everyone has a bad day now and then. judge not, lest ye be judged.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #56
Sous Chef

Clive I just checked SweetMarias website - there are no green beans from your neck of the woods Hmmmmmmmm. Bummer. Right now I'm enjoying a wonderful Sumatra Iskandar. Yummmy stuff it is. Our next roast is going to be a Panama Hacienda La Esmeralda Gesha. @ 15.60 a pound it's the most we've paid for green beans - but the description had us drooling before the maillady had delivered it.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Chef Jen - I think it's VERY classy to serve it the way you did. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but did the guy let his coffee steep long enough? One place I go to has little 3-minute hour glasses they set down beside each FP.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
Clive I just checked SweetMarias website - there are no green beans from your neck of the woods
Ah, there's a small drawback - little, if any, Venezuelan coffee is exported.

Never mind. Next time I'm in the States, I'm going to pile a pallet 10 mts high with the stuff and GIVE it away!!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #59
Master Chef

You mean there is none of that green stuff for you to garnish?????
Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #60
Master Chef

ingnore this post--it was meant for somewhere else--how it got here I don't know except that my fingers have a tendency to drag on the keys (my biggest problem) but Toto and I apologize---computer idiot in the land of OZ--ha!!!