V8 vs. Dole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I know most would opt for natural juice that comes from fresh fruit. I have yet to invest in a juicer. Which juice do you prefer from V8 Fusion or Dole Paradise Blend? They both contain fruit and vegetable juices and claim to be 100% juice and antioxidants. I got both today since my kids love to drink juice. I liked the fact that Dole is $1.00 cheaper than V8.

I don't drink either, but I wonder about the preservatives - there must be some, otherwise you'd find it in the refrigerated aisle. Also, do they cook the produce first before bottling?

I know that juicers can be really hard to clean (which is why we don't have one), but I make my own fruit/veggie smoothies with my magic bullet blender. It's also a really cheap way to get the good stuff ;)

I don't drink either, but I wonder about the preservatives - there must be some, otherwise you'd find it in the refrigerated aisle. Also, do they cook the produce first before bottling?

I'm not sure why you'd need loads of preservatives in bottled juice .... But V-8 veggie does have citric acid in it, presumably as a preservative or a flavor enhancer.

I'm a v8 addict, but only their veggie juice.

I had a real juicer once that you could put anything in, skin, seeds and all and it made amazing juice. But it was a pain to clean.

I'm a V8 adict as well. No preservatives, refrigerate after opening. Makes a great bloody mary.

Hmm...thanks. I will invest in a juicer. I know that citric acid is in these drinks. Not a lot of wholesome vitamins really.

If I remember correctly (anyone who has better info please chime in) a componant of citric acid is ascorbic acid - vitamin C.

The problem with all fruit juices is that drinking a glass of juice, for example apple juice, is like eating several apples. You get a lot of sugar, and little of the nutrients found in the pulp and skin. It's almost like drinking soda pop. As a diabetic, I've had to give up fruit juices for that very reason.

However, if you take whole fruit, such as stone fruits (plumbs, peaches, nectarines, etc), strawberries, apples, pears, etc. and combine them with raw veggies such as carrots and such, you can make very tasty and viatmin packed smoothies in your blender or Magic Bullet. They are more filling and contain all of the nutrients and minerals of the whole fruit.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I haven't looked at the ingredient label for either of those, but some things that claim to be all fruit juice have a lot of concentrated apple or white grape juice in them. Those products are mostly sugar, I think.

Good that you mention it Goodweed. I usually keep fresh fruit available for smoothies made from yogurt, bananas, strawberries and fresh squeezed orange juice for my kids. I especially like mine with a medley of berries (for the antioxidants) and a few teaspoons of whey protein powder to make a complete meal. DH makes some killer mango/pineapple smoothies. How are the pear and apple ones? Do you mix the fruits and veggies with anything else?

Good that you mention it Goodweed. I usually keep fresh fruit available for smoothies made from yogurt, bananas, strawberries and fresh squeezed orange juice for my kids. I especially like mine with a medley of berries (for the antioxidants) and a few teaspoons of whey protein powder to make a complete meal. DH makes some killer mango/pineapple smoothies. How are the pear and apple ones? Do you mix the fruits and veggies with anything else?

Sometimes I mix in silken tofu, pineapple, carrots, or other veggies like beets or jicama. I like to add berries to mine as well, for the flavor and the nutritional value.

I wonder what a purely veggie smoothie would taste like? Hmmm. I might just have to experiment.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm another V-8 drinker (low sodium). I figure it's better for me to get some kind of veggie in me than none at all since I don't eat them.

I love V8. Sometimes I add a little squirt of lemon juice, or hot sauce, or black pepper or all of the above.

Back
Top Bottom