"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Vitamin water

What do you think of the Vitamin Water ? Do you think it is worth buying ?
I don't like plain water, we have well water, and it has no taste. I need to drink more water .

__________________

__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
What do you think of the Vitamin Water ? Do you think it is worth buying ?
I don't like plain water, we have well water, and it has no taste. I need to drink more water .
The HowStuffWorks site concludes that it's not worth the calories: Howstuffworks "How Vitaminwater Works" It has a lot of sugar in it.

The recommended amount of water people should ingest in a day includes all liquids - coffee, milk, juice, etc. If you don't like plain water, add lemon or lime juice or some flavoring you like. HTH.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
I buy most things unadulterated. If I want water and vitamins, I take both. If I pay for one, I don't want the other.
If I want Pepsi with lemon, I want to add my own lemon.
I make my own iced tea, lemonade, etc.
I have enough time and enough desire to pay better attention to these things than perhaps someone with children, or 70 hour work week.
But for those who have to, I don't see why not. Are the dosages a false sense of security though? Do you know what daily requirements for you are? Are you getting more than you need and paying more for it and just (excuse me) peeing them out.

As I understand it, also: the FDA doesn't quantify vitamins.
Are they top quality? Natural? From a reliable source, as in USA - or some 3rd world country with chemicals, etc added?
Now you have me thinking about something I never worried about before. IIIEEEE!!!
__________________
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,281
I like some flavors very much. Blueberry Pomegranite and Apple Raspberry.

But I drink a lot of Smar****er whan I play tennis, which is made by the same people, basically electrolyte-enhanced plain water. Target runs sales of it quite often.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,281
Smart Water
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The HowStuffWorks site concludes that it's not worth the calories: Howstuffworks "How Vitaminwater Works" It has a lot of sugar in it.

The recommended amount of water people should ingest in a day includes all liquids - coffee, milk, juice, etc. If you don't like plain water, add lemon or lime juice or some flavoring you like. HTH.
Thanks for the link.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Smart Water
I haven't heard of that , nor have I seen it in my area. Thanks for the suggestion.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I buy most things unadulterated. If I want water and vitamins, I take both. If I pay for one, I don't want the other.
If I want Pepsi with lemon, I want to add my own lemon.
I make my own iced tea, lemonade, etc.
I have enough time and enough desire to pay better attention to these things than perhaps someone with children, or 70 hour work week.
But for those who have to, I don't see why not. Are the dosages a false sense of security though? Do you know what daily requirements for you are? Are you getting more than you need and paying more for it and just (excuse me) peeing them out.

As I understand it, also: the FDA doesn't quantify vitamins.
Are they top quality? Natural? From a reliable source, as in USA - or some 3rd world country with chemicals, etc added?
Now you have me thinking about something I never worried about before. IIIEEEE!!!
Thanks for your input.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,281
Smart/Water

Target sells it for $1 a liter bottle.

I'm basically anti bottled water but like to drink this when I am exercising a lot.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Smart/Water

Target sells it for $1 a liter bottle.

I'm basically anti bottled water but like to drink this when I am exercising a lot.
okay, thanks ...
LadyCook
__________________

__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.